A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,601
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! what do I do with this horible room?  (Read 1090 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2012 05:34:48 PM »

layout

This is the wall crossed from the bed. The entertainment center holds my books, cds, wine bottles, DVDs, and video games. The second tv unfortunately is a necessity so I can watch DVDs (my player is incompatible with my newer tv)

This is the wall next to the door. The huge dresser works great to hold all my clothes. With the door open (which it usually is) you dont see all the clothes and message boards hanging there.

The bed does fold up to a futon (and is usually made),  There is not junk on the floor most of the time and a small table that goes next to the black chair (aka my desk)

I dont like this room at all right now. I want to keep the colors (turquoise, brown, black, and cranberry) but am willing to repaint stuff. Everything serves a purpose, if not two! I am intending to move out hopefully by Christmas so I dont want to do anything major. Any ideas on how to fix my little dump? the quilt is solid black and could use some sprucing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
CDEeeek
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012 05:59:47 PM »

I would try searching for "Tiny House Design". There is a whole community of people living in everything from single rooms to 800 sq ft homes, and many of them have come up with cool space saving ideas. We have what the Tiny House people call a small dwelling, so we feel your pain. But at the same time, many people are choosing to live smaller with less belongings as a lifestyle, so the trick is to make it useful for you personally. Right off the bat I'd say your best bet is to think upwards. And also downwards. Some space savers can be hung from the ceiling, and underbed organizers would help too.

If you do wind up staying there or happen to get yet another small space, I'd save for a flat wall mount TV, hook it up to your computer, and ditch all the DVDs unless they are sentimental to you. Then watch movies online or the cheapest subscription.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has a pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cdeeeek/

"It's an electronics store, Major, not Basra. Get it under control."
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012 06:04:42 PM »

Im a dvd addict, and a cd addict too, BAD! I do have all my out of season clothes in bins under the bed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
CDEeeek
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012 06:31:21 PM »

With what you spend on the DVDs and CDs, you could easily buy a flat screen tv, a music hard drive to store all of the songs on your CDs, and the cheapest movie subscription which you could then watch in HD on said TV.

But really, I am not too into TV and movies, and I store my music on thumb drives. If it's important to you, I understand. But you'd free up a quarter of your space and have even less to move.

Here's one of my favorite Tiny Home Bloggers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVxgOjNLbA
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has a pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cdeeeek/

"It's an electronics store, Major, not Basra. Get it under control."
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012 08:09:23 PM »

actually havent bought a new cd in years! I did buy a dvd yesterday (guilty!) but I do watch them alot (we do movie nights) any ideas on storing board games? I have a mother load crammed under my bed that I would like to find a way to have them handy (we play those every saturday night, sometimes more)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Iokken
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012 02:31:29 AM »

I dont know how second hand works where you are, but if it was my room, I would go to a second hand or thrift store and get a nice big wardrobe, closet or storage unit with drawers or doors that can close. It makes it easier to keep the room looking clean and maybe you can find one that is a little shallower and give you some more floor space : )

oh, and I am soooooo jealous that you have a built in closet! nowhere here is it normal to have built in closet space! embrace it Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JimBerry
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012 09:35:33 AM »

I would suggest you to build a big cabinet that fits the wall where you place it. Make racks and drawers depending upon the things you want to keep inside it. Make sure that it is light in color so that the room looks a bit bigger and tidy. Secondly, as CDEeeek said buy a new wall mount TV so that you save some more space in the room.And instead of the small showpieces and wall hangings get one single big painting or wall hanging that is also light in color. Hope this helps you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Ringflash Style Portraits on a Budget
How to Master High Key and Low Key Lighting for Fashion Photography
Sony Cybershot DSC-TX7 Digital Camera Review
Natural Light Photography
The Importance of Reading Manuals in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...