A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decorative wooden box question  (Read 893 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ericcolumbus
« on: August 15, 2012 05:20:40 PM »

Aloha!

I've looked all over the website for a very long time, but I'm still not sure where to post this question:

I have several very nice wooden boxes that can hold trinkets and such. The only problem is that the boxes are too lightweight and I'd like to figure out a way to add weight to the boxes in a way that won't diminish their appearance, cost too much money, or require a graduate degree in art/woodworking to accomplish.

I did consider having metal sheets cut and then gluing them directly onto the wood. I found a problem with that alternative when I was measuring the insides of boxes. Although they are all approximately the same size, the metal pieces would need to be cut to the correct size of the smallest box to ensure they'd fit the rest. And then I would need to use epoxy or something similar to make up any "empty" space in the corners of the other boxes. After some thought, it just felt too "clumsy".

Another idea I have is to use a soldering iron to melt metal right onto the wood at the bottom of the box. I've looked everywhere to see if there is any metal that is dense enough, yet can be melted using a standard soldering iron. Ideally, the metal wouldn't rust or become corrosive over time. If it didn't look nice once melted onto the bottom surface of the box, I could easily cover it with glue and felt or something like it.

That's just one idea I've thought of though and it doesn't seem to be panning out for me. If anyone can help me to figure out my dilemma using metal or through any other means, I'll send you one of the boxes that I am able to renovate successfully.

I know there must be a simple, yet elegant solution out there somewhere. And I'm hoping that members of this forum will put me onto it!

Thank you!  ;-)

Eric

Link to image of box:
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~napier/DecorativeBox.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012 02:39:13 AM »

You could think outside the box! (Sorry, I couldn't help it).

If you stuck the metal plate to the bottom (underneath) the box and then covered it in felt it would provide both the weight and some scratch protection.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012 04:59:32 AM »

I have a few of these in various sizes and they are very light. Taking in mind what Antidigger wrote, Maybe adding to that little feet to the box under the heavier base. And if you can solder, the base will have that vintage,\antique look to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ericcolumbus
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012 11:52:50 AM »

Thanks, Antidigger and Jinjeet Phoenix!

I like both of your ideas very much (and your humor, A!). Any ideas about what type of metal to use? Or how to deal with variance in sizes of metal to box bottom without this project becoming too time-consuming? J., what are those little feet you mentioned called?

Mahalo again!

Wallace
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012 01:39:11 PM »

By "little feet" I meant that you can maybe adhere something heavy to act as feet for the bottom of the box to give it more weight. Anything heavy, a heavy bead, bolt, etc. anything you have on hand. Just look into a miscellaneous drawer and you may come up with four of something that will fit in with what you need.  As Antidigger wrote...Look outside of the box.Take a look at the alters people have been making here from little tins to give you an idea. There are some truly inspiring people and their work here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Learn Basic Blackjack Strategy
Violin Lessons - Different Parts of the Bow
What are the Different Parts on the Violin
Violin Lessons - How to Hold the Violin Bow
How Difficult is the Violin to Learn
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...