A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question about making bar increases  (Read 762 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thepamification
« on: August 14, 2012 10:35:14 AM »

I am pretty new to knitting and i am already incredibly frustrated. I am trying to do bar increases, which I know are probably one of the easiest knitting techniques possible but it is driving me absolutely bonkers.  For some reason when I go through the back, wrap the yarn and try to go back through my yarn is so tight on my needles that I can't even move them.  I am a pretty loose knitter so I don't think its my tension. I have watched two Youtube videos on it and I think I am doing the technique properly but some thing just can't be right. Please Help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012 12:19:42 PM »

When you go through the back loop, are you accidentally splitting any of the strands of yarn already there? Most of my times my stitches end up really tight it is because I have accidentally stuck the tip of my needle between two plys from a previous stitch. It could very well be something else, but that's my first thought. Hopefully that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012 12:24:02 AM »

I had never heard "bar increase" before now. I only knew it as kfb. How weird.

Anyway, i had that problem when i learned how to kfb, too, but i was a tighter knitter then... so that probably had something to do with it.

It took me a lot of practice to figure out how to keep it loose. One thing i do is make sure when i knit into the front and the back, i make sure to pull each stitch a little extra, making each loop a little bit bigger and therefore easier to work with. Does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012 07:16:44 AM »

If you wrap the yarn 'backwards' on purls that can make the stitches tighter because when you knit into the front loop it twists them. The yarn should be wrapped the same direction for both knits and purls, though if you don't want to change you can compensate by knitting into the back leg for regular stitches. For an increase you might have to slip the stitch knitwise and put it back on the needle so the leg closest to the tip is in front, then it's easier to knit into the back leg.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
thepamification
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012 08:37:35 AM »

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it!! Problem solved! I was actually wrapping the yarn instead of picking it after I went front to back. You wouldn't think that it would make much of a difference but it was huge.  I also must admit that I was using super crappy yarn for a beginner, I beieve its called Homespun, it consists of basically super fuzzy lint wrapped around a piece of string but the color is so pretty that I can't part with it lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012 01:22:48 PM »

yeah, that yarn can be tough to knit with. A bigger needle might make it easier to use the Homespun yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012 05:27:37 PM »

The trick with homespun is to use a size 11 needle and keep your tension on the yarn really loose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Import Your PSD Layout Into Dreamweaver Part 1/2
How to Selective Color In Photoshop
How To Upload Your Videos In Widescreen in Camtasia Studio
How to Setup 1 Click Photo Editing In Photoshop
How To Change Your Eye Color Using Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...