A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
792 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bullet Casing Pendants  (Read 2287 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EyeofMazikeen
Red, Red, Red

One eye to hold you

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2012 07:30:21 PM »

Hello!  I received a GINORMOUS bucket of spent bullet casings from my sweet baby sister & brother in-law.  They both thought I could maybe do something with them.  I'd never worked with bullet casings as a medium before, so I tried out a few different styles of decorating them and this is what I came up with:

It was quite an adventure for me because it got me to actually use the soldering iron that I picked up awhile back to add the rings to the top of the casings for hanging.  I also finally had some raw brass on hand and got to try the ammonia & salt fume patina technique, which is how the one blue bullet got so blue.  I'm a huge fan of the result, but the smell is something to be reckoned with. I really like the one casing with the butterfly wings, but that's mostly because I'm from the 90s.  I'm also quite fond of the shells that I painted with nail polish, but I can't quite figure out what to do with them to actually make them jewelry.  Suggestions are always welcome, and thanks so much for taking the time to look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Vengeance built me hastily"
I have an Etsy store now, thanks to peer pressure: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MazikeenStudios
I'm also trying to make 7 things a week for a year.  http://mazikeenstudios.blogspot.com/  (Warning: this is usually pretty behind!)
thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012 08:10:29 PM »

wow they are all amazing!! I might get my hubby to bring some home to me to tinker with! beautiful Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EyeofMazikeen
Red, Red, Red

One eye to hold you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012 09:22:05 PM »

I have WAAAAAAY more than I could ever hope to use on my own... I have a five gallon bucket full.  If you (or anyone else for that matter) would like an assortment of shells just PM me and we can work something out!  <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Vengeance built me hastily"
I have an Etsy store now, thanks to peer pressure: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MazikeenStudios
I'm also trying to make 7 things a week for a year.  http://mazikeenstudios.blogspot.com/  (Warning: this is usually pretty behind!)
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012 12:11:56 AM »

So pretty and much better than the usual boring polished metal pens and letter openers that these things are usually made into.  I particularly love the third one with the diamantes spilling out of the end, and the battered blue with the clear brown stone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HowdySailor
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012 10:03:29 AM »

These are awesome! I also make bullet jewelry, and we actually drill holes right through the bullets themselves. As long as you have a sturdy vice grip, you should have no problem being able to drill right through.

I would also suggest taking some cleaner on a qtip and spinning it along the inside to help remove any excess gun powder.

Sanding the outside lightly and then putting a thin coat of paint on also gives you a pretty cool effect  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StringingFool
Everything goes better with beads.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012 04:35:02 PM »

Interesting ideas. I have some 22 shells that I'm not actually doing anything with, but plan to every time I see someone else do it!

You might want to get some Vintaj Patinas (they sell them at Hobby lobby if you can get there before they are sold out.) It's not a real patina process, it's a paint made to adhere well to metal. The bullets might look nice with some of the colors on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Popsweet
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012 06:44:34 AM »

These are wonderful! I love that they are recycled!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pixi352002
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012 09:24:36 AM »

wow! strange item to work with Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013 10:13:43 PM »

I see that this is a few months old, but I still want to add my 2 cents.  Tongue

I made a bullet casing necklace last night by drilling a hole through the dimple in the primer since it's usually centered (unless it's a 22, then the casing is marked off to the side.  that's the current problem I'm dealing with).  I used my fingers to hold the casing while drilling the hole, but the worst mistake I made was not having access to my Dremel.  Undecided  all I had was a manual drill like this: http://eurotool.com/products/12_PC_DRILL_SET-2382-79.html.  took me FOREVER to get through the metal and my hand was pretty sore after.  I then used an upeye (http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/H204310FY) glued in place with E6000, and added a jumpring to make it into a pendant.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
rajput9571
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013 11:35:03 PM »

good gift and you know its like unique and the fashion which never goes out.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Lacha Paratha
How to Make an Easter Roast Spiced Chicken with Indian Style Gravy
How to Make Spaghetti and Beans
How to Make White Coconut Curry with Tempeh Part 3/3
How to Make Tofu Stuffed with Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...