This is my old sofa – or at least what is left of it. I cut it up to remove the leather for later use, and the foam for my new chairs.
In a second hand store I found a great new sofa and these 4 chairs.
They were very used and I didn’t like the look of the cream fake leather so I stripped them with a pair of scissors, a big knife and a crochet hook. I cut down the sides with the scissors and ripped up the middle stitches with the knife and then ripped them out with the crochet hook.
Building on the aluminum frame was difficult as nothing would stick fabric and the alu at the same time.
Therefore I sowed this strip of elastic from the sofa to it for some support.
After that, I put the back piece from the original chairs on to the elastic band.
And then a piece of foam for a little more comfort (the old chairs were NOT for sitting around the table and talking for hours, they were so uncomfortable)
Cutting the foam (if you have to, get a large serrated knife for this, scissors do NOT work) was a learning process. The edges aren’t that nice so I covered it with batting from the sofa.
I then sowed covers for all the chairs. Getting them to fit snugly was hard since the backs are wider at the top. I therefore sowed them, split them at the back and sowed them back together.
Im not happy with the seats, I will have to recover them when I get the time, but I love the look of them and its soooo nice to have a comfortable chair to sit in during meals and after : )
This is what it used to look like (they cut off blood to you legs these chairs!)
And this is now : )