A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Raised diamond pattern in afghan - what stitch is it?  (Read 1092 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

callaphera
« on: August 12, 2012 02:28:35 PM »

I'm not a complete newbie at crocheting (although it did take me about twenty years before I finally figured it out lol). My grandma could crochet the most beautiful things, bed dolls, mittens, afghans, ducks that "pooped" jellybeans when you squeezed them (I will, eventually, get my hands on that pattern). My mom mainly does afghans, and I really want to figure out the technique or stitch she used, but I don't even know what to search to figure it out.

My mom's afghans are made without turning the work (she ties off each individual row and starts a new one, making an automatic fringe on the sides as she works). But at the same time, she makes a raised pattern on the afghan, in a diamond shape. She does it as she's working on the row, and it's a raised (?) stitch that she follows in a pattern. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what it's called or how to do it. It looks like a normal, but raised stitch. I want to figure it out, because I think it's quite beautiful. She had made me a giant bed-cover of an afghan in a cream colour with tons of diamonds in diamonds on the front. Unfortunately, me being a teenager at the time and seeing her whip up these blankets constantly, I didn't keep good care of it and it became stained and pretty nasty looking. I want to recreate something like that.

I would ask her how she does it, but she needs to be able to show me how rather than describe it, and we live a few hours away from each other and don't get to see each other that often. Plus, I kinda wanna surprise her with my sudden interest in crocheting. If you know what I'm talking about or even have a vague idea, I'd love a push in the right direction as to where to find out how to do this. (Edited to add: if it helps, I'm almost certain that she does her afghans in single crochet stitches, save for however the raised diamond pattern is stitched)

Also, just a quick thank you to everyone. I (finally, 20 years later) figured out how to crochet because of these boards and keep coming across new stuff and new information that I keep filing away from future use. Y'all rock Smiley
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012 03:27:42 PM by callaphera » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012 05:26:26 PM »

Without a picture it's difficult to say, but it's possible she's using post stitches.  These would be taller stitches that are worked around the post of a stitch that is in a previous row.  To make the diamond shapes, it wouldn't be a stitch directly below the hook, but down and to one side or the other.  Then, the next set of these post stitches could be worked around the post of the previous post stitches to make what could look like a continuous line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

callaphera
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012 05:49:11 PM »

After I found a picture and tutorial, I think you're right. It looks similar enough, although I thought they were worked at the same time as the row (I could be completely wrong about that. You'd think after watching her for so many years, I would've figured it out, but she crochets faster than anyone I've ever seen) Thanks so much! I'm gonna play around with it later tonight and see if I can re-create the pattern. Even if it's not the same exact way she does it, I can see how to use it to create the diamond shape. And hopefully, next time I see her, I'll be able to show off Smiley

ETA: You were right! I found an old picture of one of her afghans, and it does seem to be the right thing, and it looks pretty impressive when you change colours as often as she did. Thanks again! Smiley
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012 06:30:50 PM by callaphera » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Garter Stitch
Getting Introduced to Pottery
Great Ideas for Cheap Halloween Costumes
Pottery Making: How to Make Funky Vases
Pottery Making: How to Make Enclosed Candles and Shakers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...