A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,188
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doctor Who Round 7 Swap Sendouts 10/1/12  (Read 40600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ivoryh1632
« Reply #360 on: October 03, 2012 09:10:16 PM »

ifallthraindrops - rory never changed his last name, the doctor's the only one that called him rory pond as kind of a statement that amy was the one in charge so if it said otherwise it wouldn't have made sense, i think they've refrenced amy changing her name to williams before in other episodes

Summer6061- best. graphic. ever.

lilusa- i completely agree, i feel like he's dumbing it down for ratings, its less whitty and the plot arcs that run through the season are blatently obvious instead of the kinds stuff you dont realize was there until the 2nd time through that davies did. it reminds me of when they remake a british show for american tv and they just dumb it down so more people will watch it. and it does feel more like a kids show, its lost a lot of the whit and a lot of the depth and darkness.

as for it having always been a kids show, that's not exactly true, its always been a family show with elements for kids and adults that's why the show's 2 spinoff's go in opposite directions, sarah jane takes the more lighthearted kid's side of the show and torchwood takes the more dark and adult side, the show's always had both of these but since moffat's taken over it seems to be more the sarah jane side and less the torchwood side. also, standards of what we consider to be suitable for kids in the US and what is considered suitable for kids in the UK is completely different. I mean i still remember the outrage at the later harry potter books being aimed for kids because they dealth with death and the stuff in doctor who is way scarrier and darker than harry potter. if dw was brought to the US without having the previous connotation of being a kids show i doubt anyone would consider it as such.

all that being said...........i recieved my package today!!!!!! posting pics in a minute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #361 on: October 03, 2012 10:03:33 PM »

Also, was it someone on here that pointed out Amy's grave said Amy Williams instead of Rory Pond? I thought that was lovely (if a bit against my feminist sentiments). Another way of showing Amy chose Rory over the Doctor, even when it might have been possible to still have both.

I did not even give that a second thought. Ever since Amy signed the divorce papers as Amelia Williams, it became kind of real. Would have loved to see Rory Pond on there, though.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012 12:33:43 AM by bananaleg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
tabiekat
« Reply #362 on: October 04, 2012 12:28:41 AM »

Sent
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deathbeforedishes
Embroidery Addict

She believed she could, so she did.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #363 on: October 04, 2012 07:31:42 AM »

The package I sent to 11denson is expected to be delivered today! Yippee!! I hope she likes everything.

I want to thank everyone for keeping the spoilers camouflaged.  Grin  You guys rock!

The gallery is turning out to be amazing! Everyone is so creative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/leilaninaomi/

5/50 2014 Projects
53/50 2013 Projects (woohoo!!!)
I do personal swaps!
Cheesy
stefaniegk
« Reply #364 on: October 04, 2012 10:15:52 AM »

I have for the most part really, really enjoyed the Moffat seasons. (this is coming from someone who cried when they announced the end of the Davies years and refused to even talk about the new Doctor for months) There are a few throw away episodes and I had major issues with the whole Amy likes the Doctor, oh but she has to get married etc story line in the first season. I loved little Amelia Pond and would have enjoyed seeing them travel together. It also always bothered me that she went from Amelia to Amy. In some ways the show tracked along with my current life and that was crazy.

Spoilers:

I feel they have always played the time paradox touch yourself thing, they used it when it worked for them.

Yes of course the Doctor and River are married, I feel a little cheated that she married a robot version of himself with him inside but totally married. I love how River and 11 play off of each other and I really would like more of her, I would also be interested to see if just because Amy and Rory's time with the Doctor is up, is River still having adventures with the three of them. The timelines don't match you know.

I'm not a hundred percent behind the fixed point in time idea, Time can always be rewritten (depending on who is doing the writing). Rose is the perfect example. I like a little more open ended story like Martha's where you could possibly see them again.

I feel like Amy's grave said Amy Williams because no one knew them as the Ponds and that was the saddest thing to me of all.

Dinosaurs on a spaceship=Awesome!

This always was a kids show, yes it could be a family show but it's intent was a kids show. One of the reason there was not a lot of real romantic stuff back in the day and the first Doctor travelled with his granddaughter.

I still don't 100% know how I feel about the episode/season/series up till now. I have cried a lot and there are a few times/people who have made me re watch episodes over and over. I am excited for the Christmas episode though.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012 10:24:04 AM by stefaniegk » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://stefaniegk.tumblr.com         

76/124 in 2013!                          I love personal swaps!
ivoryh1632
« Reply #365 on: October 05, 2012 03:15:30 AM »

Not trying to fan an arument or anything like that but a friend jsut sent me an article and I wanted to share it. For those of you that don't understand why some of us think Moffat's doctor is more immature or his silly unconnected episodes are worse than Davies' silly unconnected episodes, this guy pretty much explains it perfectly. But either way he brings up some interesting points and I thought it was worth a read if you have the time.
http://tvbacon.wordpress.com/2011/08/27/for-whom-the-cloister-bell-tolls-or-why-we-hope-steven-moffats-doctor-who-is-an-island/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ifallthraindrops
« Reply #366 on: October 05, 2012 10:40:06 AM »

That's a really thought-provoking article. And it makes a lot of sense--especially the gender bit. I don't necessarily agree with the other points though. Part of it is that I love the plot springs and whatall but also I do see some genuine emotion here, and not just from Rory. There are emotion issues with Amy, but I mostly chalk that up to abandonment issues. I don't really watch classic Who, but I really love the Doctor's attitude about the Earth--he's not human but he's put a lot of effort it. I'm hoping there will be a payoff for this season too. Moffat's killin' me, but I think I trust him. I loved seasons five and six SO MUCH. I might be in the minority here, but I love Moffat's Who. I love that he's kind of dark and willing to overlook consequences. Spoiler: The bit in A Town Called Mercy where he stops trying to save everyone for a moment is an interesting character moment. Because that IS a moral dilemma (and I know Moffat didn't write that one but still).

That being said, the points in the article about Moffat writing for his kids and making Who more of a kids' show--I happily watch Avengers cartoons and children's movies all the time sooo can't really complain. I tend to see a lot more depth than perhaps other people do. I read a lot of fan fiction and have given it a lot of thought.

YMMV, obviously.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gala_apples
« Reply #367 on: October 05, 2012 04:56:22 PM »

ifallthraindrops, I agree with you. I loved Season 5 and 6. There were so many OMG moments. So many fun moral questions, like do you let the vampire-fish species go extinct to save Earth? Or are Gangers real people? I especially love their friendship, as compared to the way Rose was a worshipper at the alter of the Doctor. And I think you're right about the fanfiction too, it helps give more perspective to things you watch.

I guess what it comes down to is different people like different things. What matters is if you're polite about it, or try to change everyone's mind and attack what they enjoy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not attached to your world, nothing heals, nothing grows... we used to love ourselves, we used to love one another.

life is no cabaret- we don't care what you say, we're inviting you anyway, you mf'ers, you'll sing someday!
ivoryh1632
« Reply #368 on: October 05, 2012 10:51:12 PM »

ifallthraindrops- i loved that part in that episode too i was like woah is this seriously happening, it kinda reminded me of how the doctor flipped in the other direction at the end of the waters of mars

but yeah i wasn't trying to be pushy or anything i just thought it was an interesting article.

also, isn't all who fanfic just stories about the doctor and captain jack having sex? j/k lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ifallthraindrops
« Reply #369 on: October 06, 2012 09:41:12 AM »

@gala: Yes, friendship. There was a lot of back and forth about Amy, but FRIENDS. Which, btw, is why I completely adore Donna and not so much Martha.

@ivory: There is, um, a lot of things. I went through a brief period of really liking the Amy/Rory/Doctor/Sometimes TARDIS grouping. I mean, it's fan fiction, so there's a lot of sex, but there's also a lot of really interesting stories and plot arcs. You'd be amazed what dedicated fans can come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Care Tips for Aging and Thinning Hair
Tips for Coverage and Camouflage Of Thinning Hair
Hair Loss Treatments for Men
Healthy Hair Care and Styling Tips
Hair Loss Treatments for Women
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...