A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,573
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Singer Vs Brother  (Read 3748 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

canamharris
« on: August 11, 2012 09:48:35 AM »

I know that alot of people are asking the same question as me. Fix the old machine or buy a new one. I had an awesome Kenmore a few years back but gave it to my sis in law when my hubby got me a new machine for Mothers day. Now 3 years later that nice machine he got me is dying! Its a Singer that was a walmart special. And its CRAP! I'm really torn right now with having it fixed or buying a new one. I keep looking at brothers and drooling over them! (though this time I'm making sure not to get it from walmart!!)

Anyone have any thoughts on Brother vs singers?

I've really thought about taking mine in for service but our small town only has 1 place to do it and will cost me $100! (thats just for the cleaning and basic service, not for fixing anything!) funny thing is the machine cost only $80 on clearance! so its hard to justify spending more then that on cleaning and basics and hoping that will fix the irritations it is causing me! (And I'm pretty sure it needs a part or something since it does not sound happy when I use it)

I really have my eye on this brother right now: http://www.joann.com/brother-xr9500-project-runway-computerized-sewing-machine/zprd_11188869a/
(sadly joann doesn't ship their sewing machines to canada! boo, but at least amazon does!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

judykudy
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012 07:00:07 AM »

I say go with a Brother...I bought a cs8072 back in 2003 and I  L-O-V-E   it...
it has never given me any trouble...and i also bought a brother vx1120 at a garage
sale for 3$ and with a few minor adjustments it is working GREAT...good luck in
your decision...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madannevain17
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012 01:07:27 PM »

I also say go with Brother. They make very high quality machines, and I really like my $300 Brother over my mom's $500 Singer. I've also had a lower end Brother (around $100) that worked very well. I have to say though, I'm not a fan of their low-end electronic machines (the ones with the LED screens). I would say either go for the most expensive non-digital one you can find, or go with a mid-to-high range digital machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VilePhoenix
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012 03:19:48 AM »

I own two Brother machines, a cheap mechanical one and a mid range electronic one. I've used both of them a lot and recently 'broke' the cheaper one and it's not worth fixing. The older electronic one runs ok but has issues. I wish I still had my Nanna's vintage Singer, it never missed a beat!
I guess it depends on the type of sewing you do and how often you do it. My next purchase is going to be the heavy duty Singer machine because I sew all kinds of fabrics and I sew daily. But for what they cost to repair I'd be tempted to just buy another cheap one and use it until it dies then buy a new one lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cozy Crochet Mittens
Homemade Hen Party Crackers
How to Personalize Holiday Gifts
How to Host a Caroling Party
Arm Knitting: A Scarf in 30 Minutes?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...