A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Time to bite the bullet and buy a new machine or fix the old one?  (Read 761 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PentapodMonster
« on: August 11, 2012 08:17:44 AM »

I have a Janome My Excel 4023. It is a basic sewing machine, and has stood up well to the abuse I have but it through for many years. Many Halloween costumes, renaissance costumes, hems, repairs, and alterations have been made with this dear friend.

However. I am pretty sure it is at least 15 years old. The back stitch no longer works, and just last night I discovered that on the top side the stitch looked great, but the bottom stitch looked very messy. I tried playing with the different stitches and different pieces of scrap fabric to no avail.

My dilema is this: There is a local sewing machine repair shop that will fully service my machine, including fixing the backstitch, cleaning and oiling the inside, re-setting the tension, just basic over all tune up of my machine, for $60. If I invest money into this I would also buy a new manuel (My mother gave me this machine when she stopped sewing - I'm sure I had the manuel at some point but I have no idea where it ended up) for about $10.

My dilema is that a new basic brother machine (CE8080PRW) I've had my eye on is only $150, comes with a 25 year warranty, has way more stitches, etc. I showed my SO's parents how to use theirs, and it really is a nice machine for the price. All the reviews I've read have been good. So while the old machine has been tried and true, fixing it at this point would cost me half of a new machine. I will especially be kicking myself if something else goes wrong in the next few months.

Advice? Had anyone else had particular experiences with either of these machines?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PentapodMonster
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012 05:48:48 PM »

I didn't get any responses, but I thought I'd update this as it seems a few other people have had the same problem.

I decided to go with a new brother, the one I mentioned in my previous post. I fired it up this morning and started out on lycra with a zig-zag pattern. It was glorious, until I tried to use the backstitch. Every time I pressed the backstitch button, the machine just stopped. Egh.

I'll be calling Brother's customer service tomorrow to try and get it sorted out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brc55
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012 05:40:54 PM »

Ok, I dont really know anythin about that machine. I have 12 others though. 2 that I have ,when you go reverse it stops and you have to start it back up with the reverse button than wait til it stops to hit forward again. Good luck, it looks like a good sewin machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Charcoal Portraits
How to Draw Still Life
How to Write Copperplate Calligraphy
How to Create Calligraphy Art
How to Choose Calligraphy Styles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...