A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Solar Lit Garden Mushroom  (Read 6089 times)
Tags for this thread: recycled_craft , garden , mushroom , recycle , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2012 07:37:38 AM »

I'm totally chuffed with the way my garden mushroom turned out.  It's made mostly from discards & (With a bit of engineering help from Hubby) it's solar lit.  

It's made from an old vase, the discarded glass from a  torchere floor lamp, a glass jar, & a cheap solar light.  I used one stroke technique & Glass paints to make the flower decoration.

I put it out this morning so it can "Catch some rays" & take on a glow this evening.  I can hardly wait to see it lit up.  I'll have to take another photo then.

I've been trying to get a good photo of my garden mushroom but haven't had much luck---too dark, I think.  This is the best I can do but it shows a nice glow from the solar light.

A bit more as to how we did it & how we'll do it differently next time:

The vase was clear glass and didn't match the frosted lamp shade so we spray painted the INSIDE ONLY.  It still isn't a perfect match but ---good enough for who it's for.

Photo B

We purchased the smallest solar light we could find.  The one pictured is a bit larger than the one we used but good enough for demo purposes.  A slight twist will separate the top from the base (photo B ).  I covered the little solar panel with masking tape & spray painted the top white.

Photo C

We then glued the solar disk to a jam/jelly size canning jar with E6000 glue.  (Photo C )  We made sure we removed the tab before glueing so the battery would begin charging.   We didn't paint the jelly jar because it would have cut down on the amount of light.  The jar not only allowed light to escape but added height to the stem.
When it was dry, We glued the jar to the overturned vase & the shade to the top.  Done!

After it was glued we realized what we did wrong.  Next time we'll screw a canning ring to the jar and attach the solar disk to it before adding the shade.  That way we will be able to replace the battery when needed by unscrewing the top.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012 09:12:38 PM by Jenxx - Reason: Photos, instructions added. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
anderlance
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012 08:39:08 AM »

What a great idea & your recycling as well!  Truly wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Subee
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012 08:43:25 AM »

What a cute idea! I'm afraid I'm going to have to steal it for my new garden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love nonsense - it wakes up the brain cells!

Prewitt Woods
https://www.facebook.com/PrewittWoods
blackie.sage
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012 10:08:53 AM »

I think one day I'm going to end up being one of those old ladies who has way too many lawn ornaments that don't actually go together... because I see cute things like this everywhere and I just want it all!

So awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012 10:12:05 AM »

I almost gasped when I saw this, because I realized you've put the solar panel into the opening of the lamp shade, haven't you? It's perfect! I gave away one of those shades just a few weeks ago. Angry

This is brilliant, and your painting is beautiful too. The vase makes a perfect stem.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LizzyEU
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012 10:27:08 AM »

Can't wait for the nighttime pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreadlady

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012 10:34:58 AM »

I think one day I'm going to end up being one of those old ladies who has way too many lawn ornaments that don't actually go together... because I see cute things like this everywhere and I just want it all!

So awesome!

Me too, I'm doomed to end up the same way.  This is so freaking amazing, I can't even believe it.  I'm sort of in love with mushrooms anyway, so I need to go out and make this right away.  Just need a solar panel  Smiley  yay!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/dreadlady/

ATC ADDICT
Want to swap ATC's?  huh, huh, do ya?
LizzyEU
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012 04:13:10 PM »

Is it dark there yet, I'm waiting for the glow-in-the-dark pics.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seamaiden75
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012 07:48:09 PM »

That is AWESOME!!! Definately gotta make one for my garden! Smiley Can't wait for the night pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't have a TV now but that's ok the shows in my mind are almost always better.
The Maxx

My Wists http://www.wists.com/seamaiden75
BlueCherryFaerie
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012 09:33:01 AM »

That is absolutely awesome.  I'm sooo going to have to try this out.  I've got some light covers from a friend of mine, but I don't think they have holes in them.  Hmmm, maybe I'll just make some mushrooms that don't glow as well.

I like the difference between the glossy base and the frosted top, but if you're not happy with it, you can buy frosted glass spray paint at your local home improvement store.  Or you can buy glass etching medium.  But I like what you did just fine. 

I love yard mushrooms, I have some that I've bought and I've been meaning to make some more, but this is so much better than what I had come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 7/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 9/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 8/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 6/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 5/26
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...