A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you work from the skein or a ball?  (Read 3227 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xyphir
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012 12:29:07 PM »

I re-roll it into a ball. I can tell at a glance then, how much I have left. Also, rolling it into a ball is self-soothing for me. I hate working from inside the ball because I can't tell at a glance how much wool I have left. However, I have been using HUGE 400g balls which HAVE to be used from skein and from inside out. Normal double-knit, I always re-roll, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prozackat
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012 11:06:57 PM »

I always work from skein and pull from the outside.  The one time I remember pulling from the middle, it turned into a nasty tangle. I think the first time I picked up yarn I hand balled it.  Then I said screw this waste of time, lets get to the fun part. Once the skein collapses and threatens to get tangled I will ball it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AugustBell
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012 07:40:32 AM »

I always pull from the outside too. I HATE when the inside collapses and you get a big mess of yarn. I did, however, just order a ball winder from Knit Picks so I'm going to wind a ball and try a center pull and see if that's more manageable than a big messy center pull skein. We shall see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magdalena_011
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012 09:40:28 AM »

I usually work from the skein by the outside. I hate the limpiness, and when I have an innocent victim near me I just get them to entertain themselves by unrolling the skein. Every once in a while, when I have small projects i.e. baby booties, I'll crochet/knit from both sides of the skein. I like to have the sizes of both booties as close as possible and like to compare the beginning chains to make sure they stay the same. Also I like the flexibility to work on two different things if one gets a bit too monotonous for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KerrAvonsen
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012 07:44:14 PM »

I have an electric ball-winder and a swift, which I bought after I had bought a bunch of skeins of yarn from ebay, and it makes things a whole lot easier.  I like the centre-pull balls that it makes; things get less tangled with centre-pull balls, especially when one is doing more than one colour at a time. I don't worry about whether I can see how much yarn is left in the ball, since generally I don't see the ball when I'm working anyway, as it's inside my project bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ErinAquaheart
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012 02:39:41 PM »

okay. I like to wind little specialty yarns into balls. I hate the mess and tangles I end up with if I dont. And I wind them from the outside.

Now when I have the big skeins I just use them as is and pull from the middle. I USUALLY dont have tangles or knots and I dont like my skein rolling around on me if I start from the outside. But when the skein collapses and starts to be "see through" I like to take the time to ball it up...

I'm complicated when I crochet.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mabear74
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012 02:13:44 PM »

I work from a skein, and pull from the middle.  Never really had any problems with knots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Nicole~

My Blog is My Excuse to exercise my Crafting and Pinterest Addictions
http://confessionsofapinner.blogspot.com/
shelly_bean
Sad is mine, go get your own pretend emotion.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012 01:25:41 PM »

Skein pulled from the inside. My daughter though will roll up whole skeins into balls. -_-
When I work from a ball it drives me crazy. I am thinking of buying her a winder for christmas, though I did just find an e-how on how to make a pull from the inside ball of yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read too much, crochet too much and have too much yarn.. I say my life is perfect.
my blog: http://rosebud-productions.blogspot.com/
AugustBell
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012 07:32:40 PM »

I just got a yarn ball winder from KnitPicks and I love it! I had gotten three hanks of yarn from a fiber arts convention last weekend and they had to be wound. I really wish I had a swift. I wish I could find a good inexpensive one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012 12:17:18 PM »

95% of the time, I'll work from the skein and pull from the inside. If it's a big project that uses most of the skein, once it starts going all limp-noodle on me, I'll usually pull the rest of the yarn out and reroll it into a ball for the remainder of the project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Remixing Shakespeare
Ellen Marmur Reveals Where She Would Like to Be
Clinton Kelly Reveals His Favorite Movie
The Sweet Far Thing Book Trailer
Brian Billick Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...