A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you work from the skein or a ball?  (Read 2954 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xyphir
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012 12:29:07 PM »

I re-roll it into a ball. I can tell at a glance then, how much I have left. Also, rolling it into a ball is self-soothing for me. I hate working from inside the ball because I can't tell at a glance how much wool I have left. However, I have been using HUGE 400g balls which HAVE to be used from skein and from inside out. Normal double-knit, I always re-roll, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prozackat
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012 11:06:57 PM »

I always work from skein and pull from the outside.  The one time I remember pulling from the middle, it turned into a nasty tangle. I think the first time I picked up yarn I hand balled it.  Then I said screw this waste of time, lets get to the fun part. Once the skein collapses and threatens to get tangled I will ball it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AugustBell
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012 07:40:32 AM »

I always pull from the outside too. I HATE when the inside collapses and you get a big mess of yarn. I did, however, just order a ball winder from Knit Picks so I'm going to wind a ball and try a center pull and see if that's more manageable than a big messy center pull skein. We shall see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magdalena_011
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012 09:40:28 AM »

I usually work from the skein by the outside. I hate the limpiness, and when I have an innocent victim near me I just get them to entertain themselves by unrolling the skein. Every once in a while, when I have small projects i.e. baby booties, I'll crochet/knit from both sides of the skein. I like to have the sizes of both booties as close as possible and like to compare the beginning chains to make sure they stay the same. Also I like the flexibility to work on two different things if one gets a bit too monotonous for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KerrAvonsen
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012 07:44:14 PM »

I have an electric ball-winder and a swift, which I bought after I had bought a bunch of skeins of yarn from ebay, and it makes things a whole lot easier.  I like the centre-pull balls that it makes; things get less tangled with centre-pull balls, especially when one is doing more than one colour at a time. I don't worry about whether I can see how much yarn is left in the ball, since generally I don't see the ball when I'm working anyway, as it's inside my project bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ErinAquaheart
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012 02:39:41 PM »

okay. I like to wind little specialty yarns into balls. I hate the mess and tangles I end up with if I dont. And I wind them from the outside.

Now when I have the big skeins I just use them as is and pull from the middle. I USUALLY dont have tangles or knots and I dont like my skein rolling around on me if I start from the outside. But when the skein collapses and starts to be "see through" I like to take the time to ball it up...

I'm complicated when I crochet.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mabear74
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012 02:13:44 PM »

I work from a skein, and pull from the middle.  Never really had any problems with knots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Nicole~

My Blog is My Excuse to exercise my Crafting and Pinterest Addictions
http://confessionsofapinner.blogspot.com/
shelly_bean
Sad is mine, go get your own pretend emotion.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012 01:25:41 PM »

Skein pulled from the inside. My daughter though will roll up whole skeins into balls. -_-
When I work from a ball it drives me crazy. I am thinking of buying her a winder for christmas, though I did just find an e-how on how to make a pull from the inside ball of yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read too much, crochet too much and have too much yarn.. I say my life is perfect.
my blog: http://rosebud-productions.blogspot.com/
AugustBell
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012 07:32:40 PM »

I just got a yarn ball winder from KnitPicks and I love it! I had gotten three hanks of yarn from a fiber arts convention last weekend and they had to be wound. I really wish I had a swift. I wish I could find a good inexpensive one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012 12:17:18 PM »

95% of the time, I'll work from the skein and pull from the inside. If it's a big project that uses most of the skein, once it starts going all limp-noodle on me, I'll usually pull the rest of the yarn out and reroll it into a ball for the remainder of the project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Steak Verde 1-2-3
How to make Seafood Wrap 1-2-3
How to make Scallops 1-2-3
How to make Roast Pork 1-2-3
How to make Cod With Oranges 1-2-3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...