A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: S.P.E.W. (Charity Crafting)  (Read 45229 times)
Tags for this thread: charity  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 08, 2012 08:57:45 AM »

Welcome to the Society for the Promotion of Everyone's Welfare
a.k.a. S.P.E.W.

This is a group where HPCers* (those who participate in the Harry Potter Craftalongs), Harry Potter lovers, and kindhearted crafters can get together and craft for others in need.  Please share your charity projects, links, and ideas.  This group is ongoing, meaning it is not broken into time frames like yearly or seasonly.  I look forward to seeing everyone's charitable crafts!

CHARITABLE LINKS
---600 Monsters Strong:  The place for knitters and crocheters to donate their monster creations, so that we can distribute them to children around the world who are affected by gun violence or are in need of a pal.
---Afghans for Afghans: create blankets, sweaters, vests, hats, mittens, and socks to the beleaguered people of Afghanistan
---Binky Patrol Comforting Covers for Kids: making and distributing homemade blankets to children born HIV+, drug-addicted, infected with AIDS or other chronic & terminal illnesses, those who are abused, in foster care or experiencing trauma of any kind. recipients are from 0-18.
---Blankets for Canada: creating crocheted, knitted, sewn blankets for Canadians who need warmth
---Blessing Bags: Gallon sized bag of basic necessities to give to the jobless/homeless you see in your community
---Caitlin's Smiles: Help children with chronic and life-threatening illnesses with arts and crafts activities in the forms of “Bags of Smiles”, individual arts and crafts kits, homemade cards and treasure and treat kits.
---ConKerr Cancer-A Case for Smiles: goal is to give a bright cheery pillowcase to every seriously ill child in North America.
---Craft Hope:  Donate handmade crafts with those less fortunate.  A new project is started every couple of months and runs for about a month and a half. Once a project ends please wait for the next project to be announced.
---Day for Girls: creating a more dignified, humane and sustainable world for girls through advocacy, reproductive health awareness, education and sustainable feminine hygiene because no girl should go without
---Knit a Square: keep the orphans of South Africa warm, knitters and crocheters of the world to send an 8x8" (20x20cm) squares and other items
---Knit Your Bit: honor WWII veterans by creating a cozy, scarf to be donated to a veteran
---Knots of Love: caps for chemo patients
---Lion Brand's Charity Connection: database of charities that accept knitted and crocheted items
---Little Dresses for Africa: Simple dresses are made out of pillow cases, and distributed through the orphanages, churches and schools in  Africa to plant in the hearts of little girls that they are worthy
---Loving Hands: is a UK based charity that will find homes for nearly any crafted item you can make whether knit, crocheted, sewn, etc.  They have ongoing charity challenges and a long wish list.
---Mother Bear Project: dedicated to providing comfort and hope to children, primarily those affected by HIV/AIDS in emerging nations, by giving them a gift of love in the form of hand-knit and crocheted bears
---Operation Write Home:  Create handmade cards for soldiers and sailors to write back home to their loved ones in. OWH also collects "Hero Mail", handmade cards which include a note of thanks or encouragement inside.
---Partnering With Heroes is accepting Paracord Survival Bracelets: Paracord Instructions on Site
---Project 40 (ravelry link): accept 40 inch knit or crocheted strips of any width under 30 inches to be assembled into lapghans for nursing home residents
---Project Linus-US: handmade, washable blankets to be given as gifts to seriously ill and traumatized children, ages 0-18, All blanket styles are welcome, including quilts, tied comforters, fleece blankets, crocheted or knitted afghans, and receiving blankets in child-friendly colors.
---Project Linus-UK: handmade, washable blankets to be given as gifts to seriously ill and traumatized children, ages 0-18, All blanket styles are welcome, including quilts, tied comforters, fleece blankets, crocheted or knitted afghans, and receiving blankets in child-friendly colors.
---Project Thrive: Making Kits for young girls to use during that time of the month to keep clean, and still attend school
---Recovery Buddies: knit or crochet "recovery buddies" to help people through a variety of addictions and mental illnesses including eating disorders, self-injury as well as others.
---Snuggles Project: Make crochet, knitted, sewn "Snuggies" for abandoned pets
---Soldiers' Angels: many programs to send care pacckages and item to our military
---Stitches from the Heart: crocheted, knitted, quilted, and loomed baby hats, blankets, sweaters and booties items infants and their families in NICUs coast-to-coast
---The Pink Slipper Project: To provide warm, handmade slippers to as many women and children that are living in shelters for victims of domestic violence
---The Red Scarf Project: warm the hearts (and necks) of foster youth; red scarves are accepted between September 1 and December 15 annually
---The Ships Project: sends handmade hats, slippers, and Cool-Ties to Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines deployed across the world
---The Sock Monkey Project: Making toys, from socks, for underprivileged children
---Threads of Compassion: The gift of a scarf not only shows the knitter’s/crocheter’s concern for the victim, but also expresses their sorrow for what has happened. Each scarf is made by someone who wishes to provide a small amount of comfort against the pain being faced, and by doing so, lets the victim know they are not alone.
---UK Hand Knitting Association Charity List: Various charities needing crafty donations
---Quilt for Kids: accepts all cotton quilts for children in hospitals, who have life threatening illnesses

Finding Local Ways to Donate
Needs differ from area to area, make sure to call before donating so items don't go to waste.
---Animal Shelters: pet blankets, nice photography of pets to rise likelihood of being adopted, create stuffies that can be sold for fundraising
---Battered Women's Shelters: looking for clothing, blankets, home items
---Fire Station: bake a treat for your local firefighters
---Homeless Shelters: blankets, hats, scarves, gloves, mittens
---Hospitals: blankets, caps, pillows (especially heart patients, it helps with coughing spells after surgery), dolls for children, art kits for children (especially burn victims for they can't have stuffies because of injuries)
---Hospice: blankets, hats, slippers
---Nursing Homes: lap blankets, slippers, small treats for the holidays
---Schools: craft an item for auction, ask school counselor of any needs

S.P.E.W. Members
Ant Bee, Critter10, Eiseldora, Hazelhoneylove, indigo_roses, IsikkahJai, jenleahlynn, jennieingram, jillybeans, katara, nisforneville, pinkleo, pottermouth, sdelnegro514, Smmarrt, Toralune, and WhistleFish

And make sure to check out Craftster's Crafting for Good and Not Evil Board for more ideas!

2012 SPEW Accomplishments
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013 01:34:31 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012 08:57:54 AM »

~2013 Projects~

August
---nisforneville: 17 PRR squares, Elephant Tears Blanket
---pinkleo: Elephant Tears Blankie

July
---Hazelhoneylove: 2 Recovery Buddies
---pinkleo: Project Linus Blankie, 2 Berry PRR Squares, Baby Beanie for BoJ

June
---nisforneville:26 squares & 2 strips for PRR
---pinkleo: 5 Baby Beanies for BoJ, 6 PRR Squares

May
---pinkleo: Six 12" PRR Squares, Four 6" PRR Squares

April
---jenleahlynn: Packed meals for schools in Haiti
---pinkleo: 5 Solid Squares for PRR, 8 Framed Flower Squares for PRR, 4 Easter Squares for PRR

March
---Hazelhoneylove: 5 drawstring bags and 7 more shields for Day for Girls
---indigo_roses: Finished SPEW OWL of 108 PRR squares!
---jenleahlynn: 6 Cards for Operation Write Home
---jillybeans: 5 Pillow Cat Beds & Pom-Pom Cat Toys for Spokane Humane Society
---pinkleo: 5 KAS squares, Five 6" PRR Squares, One 12" PRR Square, Pirouline Chocolate Cake for Dessert Auction, 4 Mimbulus Mimbletonia Squares for PRR

February
---Eiseldora: Teen Knitting Group Work
---pinkleo: Two 12" PRR squares, BoJ Gryffie Baby Beanie, 5 Mint Choco Chip PRR Squares, 5 Northern Lights PRR squares, 2 PRR squares,

January
---Eiseldora: Hosted Craft for Charity Group, Locks of Love
---Hazelhoneylove: Day for Girls 10 liners & 1 shield
---indigo_roses: 12 Squares, 12 more Squares
---nisforneville: A hat, a scarf & 2 squares for KAS, 1 PRR square, 6 PRR Squares, 10 PRR Squares, 3 Ghan Strips, Recovery Buddie, Recovery Buddie2, RecoveryBuddie3
---pinkleo: 27 PRR Squares, 7 Rainbow Squares for PRR, 14 PRR Squares, 4 PRR squares, Checkered PRR square
---pottermouth: 3 squares
---Smmarrt: 6 Pairs Socks to S. Africa
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013 08:49:50 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012 08:58:04 AM »

S.P.E.W. ALERT

...Know a urgent charity need?  Post here or PM pinkleo
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013 04:02:02 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012 08:58:13 AM »

~*SPEW Sundays*~

Sunday shall now be our day to gather our plans and devote time to charity crafting.  

My challenge to you is to take Sunday and either:

1. Post pics of your latest charity work.  WIPs are welcome!
2. Talk about your plans of your future charity crafting.
3. Post encourage comments for one of your fellow SPEW members.
4. Suggest a cause or bring attention a need that SPEW can work on.

Can't wait to see what you whip up.  Happy Crafting & Blessed Be!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013 11:12:56 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012 09:48:31 AM »

~SPEW Badge Bakery~
*C.A.K.E. aka Caring Acts of Kindness Everywhere*

*Thank you Abeeroad, jennieingram, and patty_o_furniture for baking up these treats*
~*Animals*~ ~*Crochet*~ ~*Hospitals*~
~*Kits for Kids*~ ~*Knit*~ ~*Jewelry*~
~*Military*~ ~*Paper Crafts*~ ~*Sewing*~
~*Sock Monkeys*~ ~*Stuffies*~

~Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions~
Dear Members of S.P.E.W.,  We here at Madam Malkin's have heard of your great mission in crafting protection spells for wizards and muggles alike.  We would like to honor your noble cause by offering you special robes.  These robes (aka avatars) are a great way to show off your S.P.E.W. Pride.  To add one of the robes below to your wardrobe, just click the image; it will open another window with a larger image, which you can right click and save to your computer.  Then, you can do whatever you wish with it (like add your name to it).  New robes are still arriving, so check back often.  May you have the best of success.  ~*Blessed Be, Madam Malkin

by jennieingram

by jillybeans

by patty_o_furniture

by rossie

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013 02:35:16 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

IsikkahJai

BAKA LOVE FOREVER! ^.^

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012 10:09:17 PM »

mkay a little nervous being the first to comment here (Roll Eyes ) but I clicked on the Project Linus link and I was thrilled to learn there was a chapter in my own town! I contacted the chapter coordinator and asked if she was still in charge and if it was still active. I look forward to hearing from her soon. I remember (and still HAVE) my own baby blanket. It has Bambi on it and the edges were made with this silky material that I used to rub between my fingers to put myself to sleep at night. I liked the way it sounded  Cheesy It has fiercely loved and it's faded now but I still have it. I think every little boy and girl should have a wonderful blankie to snuggle, especially when they're sick and in pain. (LOL, my daughter has already been through 3 of her "baby blankets". We keep having to remake them because they're so abused----I mean loved Grin)

Okay, I literally started crying when I read about Project Thrive. What fantastically wonderful People! Bless them, every one.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012 10:22:25 PM by IsikkahJai » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012 06:37:51 AM »

mkay a little nervous being the first to comment here (Roll Eyes ) but I clicked on the Project Linus link and I was thrilled to learn there was a chapter in my own town! I contacted the chapter coordinator and asked if she was still in charge and if it was still active. I look forward to hearing from her soon. I remember (and still HAVE) my own baby blanket. It has Bambi on it and the edges were made with this silky material that I used to rub between my fingers to put myself to sleep at night. I liked the way it sounded  Cheesy It has fiercely loved and it's faded now but I still have it. I think every little boy and girl should have a wonderful blankie to snuggle, especially when they're sick and in pain. (LOL, my daughter has already been through 3 of her "baby blankets". We keep having to remake them because they're so abused----I mean loved Grin)

Okay, I literally started crying when I read about Project Thrive. What fantastically wonderful People! Bless them, every one.

YAY!  Thanks for being our first SPEW member to visit!  I think everyone is so wrapped up in Quidditch that they haven't stopped by, but I suspect that in the Fall it will pick up, with SPEW bonus points and all.

Project Linus is fabulous, and the chapters make it so easy (there seems to be a chapter everywhere).  I'm a lucky blanketeer because the dropoff point in my area is at a local sewing shop (actually there are 9 dropoffs near me!). 

I can't wait to see your Linus blanket! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sdelnegro514
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012 09:54:13 AM »

I was so happy when I saw this craftalong yesterday!  I will definitely be posting projects here.
I'm highly interested in the Knot of Love and Snuggles Project.

Thank you pinkleo for posting this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WhistleFish
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012 09:20:27 PM »

I'm so joining. (Although my crafting to do list keeps growing...) I think I'll do the Snuggles and Knit A Square. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012 08:11:57 AM »

I was so happy when I saw this craftalong yesterday!  I will definitely be posting projects here.
I'm highly interested in the Knot of Love and Snuggles Project.

Thank you pinkleo for posting this!

I'm so joining. (Although my crafting to do list keeps growing...) I think I'll do the Snuggles and Knit A Square. Smiley
YAY!  More SPEW members!  Y'all just don't know how amazingly happy this makes me!  Kiss

I can't wait to see your crafty magic! Grin
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012 08:13:55 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Carve a Cylon Pumpkin
How to Carve Shrunken Head Apples
How to Carve Wood
How to Buy Quilting Supplies
How to Change Thread When Crocheting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...