A friend from work’s cousin offered to pay me to make Belle’s gold dress from Beauty and the Beast for Disneyland’s Halloween Party this October. This is a picture of the unfinished bodice. I improvised the shoulder pieces and was happily surprised with the way they turned out.
The Zipper (my nightmare):
Belle’s dress was actually one of the only princess dresses I never wanted to attempt. The skirt was too intimidating and I could never find any patterns for it. I’m using two old McCalls pattern i’ve had for a few years. The bodice in the pattern is intended to be laced up either the sides or the front and back depending on the one you choose. This is the same pattern I used for my Princess Tiana dress. The skirt is a basic big skirt to fit a petticoat. The patterns are sold separately but I imagine they’re intended to be bought together for a renaissance fair.
The girl I’m making it for is slightly larger than I am so the patterns I’ve used so many times have been cut for my size. I searched multiple stores with patterns and could not find the pattern in her size. So I measured the distance between the sizes that were there, the distance between size 12 and 14 etc, and did the math to add centimeters to the pattern I have, so far it’s fitting my dress form (adjusted to her measurements) perfectly! I love this pattern. I use it all the time and it’s so easy!
We agreed on $250 for the dress. She was very pleased with the result, and so am I!