A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Classic Robin or Modern Robin?  (Read 2350 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2012 01:42:33 PM »

Last Hallowe'en, I made a promise that next time I would finally go as a character everyone would recognize, and after seeing The Dark Knight Rises, I decided that I would be Robin. I sketched out my own version of the costume (love the idea of Robin but I'm not crazy about the Santa's elf look). I just can't decide on a colour palette! I'm torn between the green, red and yellow of the classic look and the more badass red, black and yellow of modern Robin. Here are two versions of my sketch:

I feel like the modern colours suit my costume better, but I don't want to just throw classic Robin out the window completely. What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
alyblaith
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012 04:22:02 PM »

I'm a fan of the bright green Robin costume, as silly as it kind of is to wear bright colors at night when you're fighting crime, but I think your design fits best with the modern color scheme. BUT you could always compromise. If you had green tights in your second picture it would be like a less elf-y classic Robin, and I think the second color scheme would look good with green gloves or green details on the knees, boots, or mask. Any way you do it, you're getting the point across, so it's really up to how much you want to change it from the canon costumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012 04:22:37 PM »

I like the modern robin colour combo, but I feel like you'd be better recognized in the green.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Naantje
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012 05:38:53 AM »

I'd say go with the green. I'm really terrible with superheroes and stuff, but I would recognize Robin in the classic green outfit and not have a clue who you were supposed to be with black, red and yellow...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
missmlissa
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012 05:45:51 AM »

Green!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012 02:54:10 PM »

How about this one? Modern styling, but with a few more green elements?

And here's a picture I found with all the different Robin versions:

Schnoogles
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012 10:26:59 AM »

So I decided on a mix between the middle Robin and the smaller Robin just to the right of the middle. Red top and bottom, black shorts, black and yellow cape and green gloves and boots.

I ordered a red catsuit from Milanoo.com and bought some high-waist black trousers (no pockets and just a side zipper) to transform into my superhero shorts. My BF bought a black zentai suit to go as Batman Beyond!!! They're both WIPs at the moment but I'll share my progress on here.

Schnoogles
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012 10:27:49 AM by Schnoogles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

christinesousa12
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012 08:22:50 PM »

Im a fan of the Dark Night Rises and Im also planning of creating my own version of Robin kstme. Your sketch is great! You dont have to think twice, your design is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Luxury Lounge-Wear for Less: Cozy Up in Style and on a Budget
ABC Family and Wet Seal Collaborate on Clothes
Style Sound-Off: Lea Michele, Naya Rivera, and Selena Gomez
Dress Chic and Demure Like Olivia Palmero
10 Ways to Look Slimmer Instantly
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...