A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thinking about buying PatternMaker...  (Read 1137 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alison.anne
« on: August 05, 2012 11:44:39 AM »

I'm hemming and hawing about picking up PatternMaker Pro. Does anyone who has experience with it want to weigh in on whether it's worth the money?
I downloaded the PC Stitch trial and can't stand it. I find it very unintuitive, don't like the libraries, don't like the font selection, etc etc etc. PatternMaker sounds better... worth taking the plunge?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012 02:23:21 PM »

Before you purchase, have you tried KG-Chart?  http://www.iktsoft.net/kgchart-en/kgchart/
It's freeware, and a pretty neat little program.  I've had some good luck with it so far.  Smiley 

I nearly thought PatternMaker had a free trial.  If so and it's what I'm thinking of from a good 3 years back, I thought it worked well enough.  I just hadn't taken the plunge to purchase it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
alison.anne
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012 03:03:03 PM »

Ooh, thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I've been using Jennifer's Cross Stitch, which is a free program, but it's only for image conversion and I want more pattern-building capabilities.

PatternMaker has a four-day free trial, but it says the download version isn't compatible with Windows 7. I assume that's also true of the trial? You have to buy the disc for it to work with recent versions of Windows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alison.anne
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012 04:40:59 PM »

Thanks again for that link, Listessa! I'm playing with the program and really like it so far. Out of all the conversion software I've tried, it's the best for converting a simple graphic design. I have a five colour logo I'm stitching, and it only turned the five colours into 17, not 80.  Cheesy Combining similar colours to simplify the pattern is also pretty easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HistoricalNeedle
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012 05:10:01 PM »

I love my pattern maker pro-- I have had mine for 15 years with an upgrade a couple years ago !! I think it is totally worth getting!! You can control the numbers of floss and size of the design. You see what the design will look like also can change anything without redoing it from the start.

Also when you do program upgrade -- you can get 1/2 price for being a returning customer!! I thought that was way cool!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012 11:50:04 PM »

Thanks again for that link, Listessa! I'm playing with the program and really like it so far. Out of all the conversion software I've tried, it's the best for converting a simple graphic design. I have a five colour logo I'm stitching, and it only turned the five colours into 17, not 80.  Cheesy Combining similar colours to simplify the pattern is also pretty easy.

I'm so glad you like it too!  I have tinkered with it for some small graphic things and been pleased with the program.  The other one made for beading rocks my socks too.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
deromilly
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012 02:12:59 PM »

I love my PatternMaker Pro. It's what I use to create my professional charts. Smiley That said, I don't usually convert artwork directly: I import it as an underlay and then create a chart on top of that by hand, but the few times I've used the direct conversion methods it's been pretty clean.

NOTE: If you convert a photo digitally to a chart, you will always benefit from cleaning up the final design by hand before you stitch it, no matter what program you use. .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~G. Romilly Mueller
Stitch Creatively! "Cat fur? What cat fur? That's creative use of specialty fibers!" Me, RCTN 1994
rhaben
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012 11:28:26 AM »

If you can run Linux, I highly recommend KXStitch.  It is free and very easy to use.  I've been using it for years and love it.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/kxstitch/index.php?title=Main_Page
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Understanding Composition and Framing
Understanding F-Stops in Photography
Wildlife Photography Tips
Underwater Photography Advice
Food Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...