A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 303,172
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: oversized *ugly* shirt & dress pants-->glam halter & corset skirt *lots of pics*  (Read 24827 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2005 04:55:23 PM »

So, I started off with this *huge* shirt and dress pants that both had potential from the Salvation Army. I really liked the red/gold floral design on the shirt and decided it must come home with me. The dress pants weren't too bad to begin with (really nice fabric with a bit of a sheen) but the waist was a tad tight and the legs tapered *shudders just thinking of them.*

Huge shirt:
Tight waist and tapered legs:
Pants have bit of sheen:

(Kitties love the dangling lacing...drives me crazy!)

First I made the skirt by ripping open the inseam of both legs. I then opened the "bum" seam and cut off the legs of the pants at the length I wanted my skirt. I inserted a panel of fabric where the open "bum" seam was up the back of the skirt in the appropriate width so the waist wouldn't be so tight on my hips. Before I sewed in the panel, I added ribbon loops. I was inspired by lisatrix's corset t-shirt (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=38788.0) and used the same method for my skirt. After reinforcing the ribbon loops, I finished the front seam and hemmed, added the long ribbon to create a (purely decorative) lacing detail...

Lacing detail:

I was inspired by a halter top that belongs to my sister and came up with this...

I can't quite explain how I managed to make this except that the dress form is my new best friend and she helped alot!!  Wink I really just wanted to make something pretty and sexy out of a shirt that was neither pretty nor sexy when I found it in the S.A. I think I was pretty successful.

Overall I spent, eeep, $11.50 Canadian...I figured with the exchange rate, I could possibly get away with going over by $1.50. (If I'm disqualified, that's okay...I had a blast making this outfitt anyways!!!) The ribbon for the skirt and the cord for the top were items I had at home.

P.S. If you look closely at the skirt you'll notice that I have one of the pocket flaps tucked into the pocket. I'm still trying to decided if I want to keep the pocket flaps on the skirt or make it more streamline and remove the flaps and buttons... Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking!  Cheesy

I ain't here to break it...
just see how far it will bend.
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005 05:08:10 PM »

That is  a Hot outfit.

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005 05:13:17 PM »

Wow- I love the way the feathery part on the shirt hangs down a little more.  The halter part looks great too, and I'm not a big fan of halters!  You made the skirt seem really easy to do as well, thanks for the inspiration!  As for the pockets, I would cut off the flaps to made it more streamlined, but I like the button details.  Seriously, I usually get too discouraged to sew, but you made it seem easy!

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005 05:30:17 PM »

what a fabulous job you did! I am so impressed with your changes!  It's a wonderful outfit all put together like you did, and where it came from makes it even more impressive! BIG KUDOS to you!

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005 05:34:34 PM »

Now that is just COOL........!  Excellent job!!
Tutorial Contributor

Sporadic Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005 06:09:15 PM »

Wow that's so GREAT! I love it. Especially the shirt transformation it looks so much better now, sexier!

I think you should remove the pocket flap.
good job!

little things I make http://vendibles.etsy.com
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005 08:36:45 AM »

Wow, great job, great idea, great attention to detail.  I think you should leave the pocket flaps on. Looks much better!

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005 08:46:50 AM »

Any chance we could see YOU model the outfit? The skirt is my favorite.

trying 2 B Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005 12:13:22 PM »

;)This is HOT!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005 12:15:42 PM »

I loooooooooooooooooove this outfit

"I'm not gonna spit on you because i have more class than that. I am, however, going to b!tch slap you!"-New York, FLAVOR OF LOVE
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF NEWS: 3.1 Phillip Lim - Fall 2015 - NYFW - Runway & Designer Interview
Finding Your Best Manicure Shade Is in Your Astrological Sign
Wet Look Hair Trend
Best Celeb Beauty Looks Of The Week
8 Universally Flattering Lipsticks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...