A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Fairy Tour  (Read 1903 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2012 10:40:08 PM »

Last year I made these fairy houses. This year I had an arty farty open house and sort of expanded... a lot. I created a whole tour of fairy places for my visitors to see the world as I see it.

There were still a few houses from last year. The squirrels had  a heyday with the leafy rooves last year so not all of them survived for their public debut. The doors are also a lot less vibrant and the laundry on the line a little sun bleached.

I added a few new fairy houses too...

Next stop on the tour was a fairy tree. There were ladders going up higher than you could reach. A tiny tire swing. Balconies and canopies.

At the base of the tree is this arch which leads down to a very deep and dark hole. It is worth mentioning here that there IS something that lives in this tree who is not always pleased with my decorating choices and often moves things around.

Next is the Troll Hole situation beneath my hanging tree.

The hole is fairly deep and if you look down it you'll see a wooden 'door'. My kiddo made the "go away" sign Smiley

We told visitors that the troll had three green thumbs and he grew the grumpy mandrake roots I sell.

From there visitors were directed to this old gooseberry bush.

Fairies are fond of living in berry brambles. Upon close inspection several pixie houses could be spied in the mossy stump beneath. They're only a few inches tall.

On to another fantastic looking old tree. This one has a door a the base of it. People were very curious exactly what type of creature lived in this tree.

From there we moved on to a gnome camp. I don't have photos because it was terrible to shoot in the dimness of the trees and the flash spoils the illusion of everything. There's a sort of 'hut' there with a hammock, fire pit, treasure chest, empty stubby beer bottles... I'll see if I can get a good shot later.

ANYWAY... we take a stroll up a hill and see this...

A hobbit home! The kids LOVED knocking on the door to see if anyone was home. My husband told the kids that the Hobbit must have gone to visit his Nana for the afternoon  Wink

And finally the tour ends off at "Brownies Way". It's a fairy abode beneath my deck.

Now, you can think whatever you like but I did indeed see a real live brownie scoot beneath the deck in this very spot in February. Hopefully the few bits I've added to his collection of things will make up for the fuss of today.

It was SOOOOO much fun taking people around to these spots today and seeing their excitement. Some people stayed for HOURS in the sweltering heat looking all around and taking loads of photos. Some of the stops have already 'disappeared' and most will be taken down shortly. I plan on doing the same thing next year and hopefully, it will be bigger, better and even more elaborate!

P.S. Here's a little montage one of my visitors made today Smiley

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012 10:52:40 PM by Knickertwist » THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012 01:28:09 AM »

What a lovely idea.  I'm sure the kids adored it - and their parents too.  It was generous of you to let them share your garden and all the little homes.  Don't know if the fairy folk approve  Undecided but they ought to be grateful to you for giving them so many lovely houses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seeuudee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012 02:27:40 AM »

Love this idea - it's brilliant, and so well done. I love all the little homes you have created for your little folk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012 05:44:46 AM »

I wish I could have taken the fairy tour. It looks enchanting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
yoopidou

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012 10:56:54 AM »

How adorable!
How many houses, caves, dwellings were there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SonjaBoo

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012 05:45:48 PM »

This is really amazing -- I love your imagination! And I cannot fathom how much time this must have taken you -- sorry, the fairies and other folk -- to put together. I am jealous of the people who got to take the tour!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Gorgeous Lashes Without Mascara or Serums
Best Colors to Enhance Brown Eyes
The Very Best Sunless Tanners and Beauty Creams
Today Only: Get the Sofia Vergara Fragrance First
Lifestyle Products for Earth Day
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...