A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
758 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tubular cast on question  (Read 926 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpinningNickel
« on: August 03, 2012 02:29:47 PM »

Trying to work out this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/casu-cowl

It calls for 41 stitches using provisional cast on, which is new to me. I've watched a few videos and figured out how to do it, but because you create pairs of stitches with each movement I simply cannot figure out how the heck I get 41. Surely it doesn't mean do 41 movements resulting in 82 stitches. That's way too many and doesn't add up with subsequent rows' instructions.

I'm using the waste yarn method, BTW. Please please nobody suggest a crochet method. I'm away from home for a few days, don't currently have a hook, and will only be frustrated!

I'm pretty sure I'm being a complete ditz here, but I hugely appreciate any help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madannevain17
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012 07:44:56 PM »

That is a little strange.... Would it be possible to cast on a resulting 42 stitches, and then drop one to give you the right number? That's the only way that I could think to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpinningNickel
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012 12:31:38 AM »

That's kind of what I thought... but it seems like when you try and take half of a pair off, the other half just rolls off because it's not really secured to anything. Since that bottom row is live, what would happen if I CO 42, turned, and just never worked the first stitch when I got to the end of that row? Could I just drop it off when I remove the waste yarn, before grafting? Or would something terrible happen?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012 07:53:08 AM »

A provisional  cast on is not the same as a tubular CO. Provisional is used when you need to take out the cast on and use the live sts to graft with the other end (as used here) or to continue knitting the other direction. A tubular is used to make a smooth rolled edge, usually ribbed (that's why it's in pairs) and is not taken out. A PCO can be as simple as using another kind of yarn to cast on with, then change to your project yarn and later cut out the scrap yarn.

There's a link in the pattern to a video at knitting help for one kind of provisional, or you can crochet a chain and pick up sts in the bumps of it and then you can zip it out. (which you can't use now, but maybe someone else will be interested in it) These do not create pairs of stitches you can cast on an odd number. However all PCOs will result in being one st short when you pick them up, but you just make a stitch at the beginning or end of the sts so you can graft the edges together.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012 09:34:09 AM by soozeq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
SpinningNickel
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012 11:43:05 AM »

See... I watched that video first. It looks to me like she's getting two stitches on in every movement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012 03:58:52 PM »

I use this for when I do a pco and it works with odd stitch numbers too. Just count the loops on the needle, not how many times you dip over and under the other yarn. When you have 41, then stop and do the first row. You don't have to have an even number.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012 04:00:24 PM by soozeq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to MASTER Drawing an Eye in 5 minutes
How to Oil Paint - Varnishing and Signing
How to Oil Paint - Cast Shadows, Stems and Edges
How to Oil Paint - Adding Body Color and Shadow
How to Oil Paint - Sketching
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...