A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: can you seamlessly join knit from two directions..?  (Read 1352 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chickybiker
« on: August 03, 2012 10:39:40 AM »

Hard to explain, but I want to do a shrug like a long tube with rib on either end for the wrists, and sewn part way so you put your arms in via the gap you didn't sew up.  Know what I mean?

BUT I want to do rib at both ends from casting on, not have one that is at the end and cast off.  

OR, do two "sleeves" and join them in the middle - BUT, I don't want a hulking great seam up the middle back.

Like one sleeve is here |------ going this way > and the other here -----| going that way < and I want a way of putting the || together without a line.

I have vague memories of seeing two bits woven together with a sort of ziggy zaggy stitch that mimics a line of knit.  But I don't know enough about knitting to know what it is called to do a search on it to find out if it would work for what I need, or not.

Do any of you know what I mean and can:

a) give me the name of it to search on,
b) point me at a tutorial with pictures,
c) tell me what this type of shrug is called,
d) point me at a tutorial or pattern for this kind of shrug where someone else has already figured this out, or
e) tell me I'm talking rubbish and I should think of another way.   Wink
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012 10:41:50 AM by chickybiker - Reason: to remove the stupid. :-) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012 11:39:29 AM »

Something like this but knit?

I'm just trying to see if I understand what you're looking for..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012 11:46:27 AM »

I have vague memories of seeing two bits woven together with a sort of ziggy zaggy stitch that mimics a line of knit.  But I don't know enough about knitting to know what it is called to do a search on it to find out if it would work for what I need, or not.

Do any of you know what I mean and can:

a) give me the name of it to search on,
b) point me at a tutorial with pictures,
c) tell me what this type of shrug is called,
d) point me at a tutorial or pattern for this kind of shrug where someone else has already figured this out, or
e) tell me I'm talking rubbish and I should think of another way.   Wink

(a) It's called kitchener stitch (or grafting). I know there's PLENTY of stuff online for it.
(b) um...not offhand, but google or yahoo or anyother online search for 'kitchener tutorial' should find plenty
(c) um....it's a shrug worked in 2 pieces and sewn together?
(d) sorry, I have no idea, but I'm sure it's been done.
(e) nope.  you're not talking rubbish Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gecika_Knits
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012 12:31:14 PM »

I've made an almost identical shrug, and I knitted it from one ribbed wrist to the next. I honestly don't think starting at both wrists and grafting in the center would look at all different from knitting from one end to the other.

Just make sure you use a stretchy cast on, and a stretchy bind off, and you should be just fine.

If you check my ravelry:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/TheGecky/autumn-leaves-shrug

I hope this helps! I just think it would be loads easier to just KNIT, rather then grafting. I don't think the end result would be much different, whichever you chose
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chickybiker
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012 03:22:34 PM »

Thank you all..!  :-)

Yes Sarahj2001, that's exactly right - that, just in knit.  :-)

ThreadOrYarn, thank you - grafting is what I think I have heard before, just could not for the life of me think what it was!  Never heard of Kitchener Stitch, but just looked it up on YouTube, and yes, that's what I was thinking of.  It's mad how you can join opposites like that, but yes, that's what I was thinking of.  And thanks for e) Wink

Gecika_Knits, yes, that's the sort I mean.  I made one years ago for my mum, and I did do it from one end to the other, but for some reason the ways I know for casting on and off gave different results, and this one being for me, OCD girl, I need to have the same amount of spring to each wrist, or I'll go a bit mental!  lol  (Hopefully I'm not the only one here who feels that way!)

I actually have an adaptation to that style that I want to try out, where I will do an extension of the open edge that curves round behind the neck and the body and bottom to top up the front.  I want it to have seams only from wrist to armpit and down the side a little, and the extra bit will be a wide rib (hopefully!)

I've done a mock up in folded and cut paper, sellotaped up where I want the seams, (I do origami, so this was a good way of working out what the flat piece would look like) and it seems workable. 

Especially with the help you've all given me, thank you all, I really appreciate the speedy feedback.  Smiley

Now all I need to do is find some circular needles and one (or probably two) of those stitch keeper kilt pin-type things, and assess my modest stash for enough yarn to make it.  I'm thinking inch and a half wide stripes in two or three alternating colours if I have enough.   Grin

Thanks again. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012 01:32:07 AM »

Gecika_Knits, yes, that's the sort I mean.  I made one years ago for my mum, and I did do it from one end to the other, but for some reason the ways I know for casting on and off gave different results, and this one being for me, OCD girl, I need to have the same amount of spring to each wrist, or I'll go a bit mental!  lol  (Hopefully I'm not the only one here who feels that way!)
I feel ya. I made a shrug a while back from one end to the other, and i get it. My bind off wrist is a bit tighter than the cast on wrist. Not much, but just enough to bother me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012 05:24:30 AM »

another possibility if your bind-off is looser than your cast-on .... do a provisional cast-on with enough stitches to start about 2" from the cuff (or after the ribbing) and knit it one piece to the other wrist & bind off. Go back to the first wrist, pick up stitches from the provisional cast-on and knit the cuff and bind-off that side too. Ta-da! Two matching cast-off edges Smiley
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012 07:07:07 AM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gecika_Knits
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012 10:50:15 AM »

I use a stretchy cast on, followed up by a stretchy bind off and I'm quite happy with the results. It took me a little while to get used to the new methods, but now I won't stop using them! Everything gets a stretchy cast on/bind off now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chickybiker
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012 04:04:34 AM »

Thanks all - I've learned a lot from googling info you've given me here.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012 03:35:58 AM »

I realised last night that I've done enough grafting now to be able to remember how to do it without having to turn on the computer and get to youtube lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Hugh Jackman as The Wolverine
How to Draw Ikaros from Sora No Otoshimono
How to Draw Jeremy Lin from the New York Knicks
How to Draw Johnny Bravo
Romantic Loner
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...