A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grocery Store Mead, 3 Ways!  (Read 3747 times)
Tags for this thread: mead , recipe , craft_challenge_77_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2012 09:23:37 AM »

Mead is a basic, Viking alcoholic drink.  It is basically just fermented honey and water.  Can't get easier than that!  It's considered a "country wine", and thus, pretty hard to get a hold of.  Can you believe that it's easier to get true absinthe here in Canada than mead?   Shocked

My first taste of mead was at a RenFaire with my ex-girlfriend.  It was delicious!  It was flavoured with dark Bing cherries and basically didn't taste anything like honey.  Complex as heck.  I was love at first sip, but I couldn't find any retail meads for sale...which lead to me investigate home made wine...which lead to mead!

(Yes, I'm of age - 19 is the drinking age here in Canada.)
This is an effort to combat it, using ingredients that can be sourced from your local
supermarket!  The only thing that is different in all meads is the ingredients and how to treat them!

Styles of Mead:

Mead 1:  Burnt Mead
Mead 2:  Grocery Store Mead
Mead 3:  Maple Syrup as Mead

Tangent 1)  Honey is a great product, but is pretty much antiseptic in huge qualities.  (Dilute it with water to make mead!)  The stuff you can get in the local megamart is pretty tasteless, and blended for mass consumption.  Try not to get Billybee or anything else that is processed.  (You can see I failed, but I don't have a car or access to one!)  You can also try different gourmet honeys - I was tempted to break out my blueberry honey, but it's pretty expensive for a mead.

Empty BillyBee bottle:

Tangent 2)
 Wine yeast creates a higher alcohol content, as it survives longer in an
alcoholic environment.  It is also easier to clean up after, as it makes a more solid
sediment.  Wine yeast can be found online or in your local homebrew (brew it yourself) shops.  They even have some yeasts that are bred for meads!  Yeast are rated at different percentages - this means they can work in different alcoholic environments without dying!  

(Mine is a bulk yeast - it is good 'til 18% alcohol by volume.)

My yeast:

Tangent 3)
 Sanitize everything.  Making alcohol at home is pretty easy, but
remember...there is bacteria on everything - you don't want your yeast to be overwhelmed by bad bacteria - it just doesn't taste as good!  I like using vinegar, and rinsing like a madwoman, because it won't poison you if you ingest it!

Basic Ingredients:
-  honey/maple syrup (1 kilogram, 2.2 pounds makes a very sweet mead)
-  water
-  baker's yeast
-  wine yeast
-  2 liter soda bottle (empty!)
-  cotton wool
-  raisins
-  funnel
-  white vinegar

Fancy Ingredients:
-  fruit (anything is good, I like frozen items, because you kill bacteria!)
-  gelatin
-  tea
-  sieve

Basic Procedure 1 -->  Yeast Starter!
Brew a mug of tea a couple of days before your other procedures.  Add sugar or a little bit of honey while it's warm.  Stir well.  Let cool to room temperature and stir in a half-tablespoon of yeast.  Cover top with cheesecloth or a paper towel and elastic.  Let sit for a couple of days...until it is frothy!

Basic Procedure 2 -->  Homemade Yeast Nutrient
Take a cup of water and boil it.  Add a tablespoon of baker's yeast to the boiling water.  Hold it there for at least ten minutes to kill off the yeast.  Let cool, and set aside.

Basic Procedure 3  -->  Microwave Yeast Nutrient Method
Take a big microwave safe pot, add the tablespoon of baker's yeast, some fruit if you want, and enough water to cover all of it.  Make sure you have enough space for the stuff to foam up - it will want to do so.  Microwave for at least ten minutes to kill off the yeasties.  Let cool, and set aside

* Notes:  This creates a cooked fruit taste in the final product, but you can counter this stuff with raw fruit in the aging process.
* Notes:  You might need to use a chopstick or another poking device to ensure that you get your fruit into the bottle!

*  Burnt Mead:
Take your biggest pot, and cook the honey until it resembles dark maple syrup.  It will want to froth over, but keep stirring and make sure that the honey doesn't overflow!  Add a cup of boiling water, and dissolve any lumpy things.  (There will be thermal drama, so watch out!)  Cool mixture to room temperature and continue with the rest of your stuff!

Make the Must/Young wine!
Clean everything throughly.  Grab your honey bottle, and sit it in warm water.  Toss the funnel into the 2 liter bottle, and decant your honey into it.  Fill to where the label used to end with cold water.  Shake to combine.  Dump your homemade yeast nutrient into the bottle.  Add fruit puree of choice, if using.  Follow it up with the yeast starter, using the sieve to stop the tea leaves from getting in.  Add your raisins.  Shake gently to combine.

Fermenting!
Plug top with cotton wool, and let sit for 1 - 5 weeks in a cool, dark place.  Your wine should show signs of fermentation - fizzing and creating a head of foam.  (Fruit meads create more foam...traditional meads do not.)  If not, add more dry yeast, and hope that it restarts!

Fermenting Meads:
Left to Right (Blueberry maple mead, burnt mead, blueberry mead.)...oldest to youngest.  (The burnt mead is still fermenting strongly - I'd give it one more week in the bottle.  The blueberry mead is just starting fermentation, and is working slowly...)

Aging!
After fermentation finishes, make sure that you decant the mead off of the sediment.  (It can leave a bitter/bready taste in the wine.)  Wash out the empty bottle, and put your mead back in.  (Freeze overnight to kill the yeast!)  You can add a second dosage of your fruit puree of choice.  You are now ready to age your young mead!  Cap it off (make sure you have frozen your mead and thawed the bottle!), and let it rest for a couple more months.  It is ready to drink once it completely clears!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Optional:  Fining:*
Fining is a process where you add an additive in order to take out all the sediment in your wine.  Last time I made wine with fruit punch, I ended up with a ton of sediment that refused to come out of solution.

Gelatin or egg white can be used to bring your dead yeast out of solution and to hasten the process.

Gelatin - use a half packet of gelatin.  Dissolve in cold water for an hour.  Simmer the stuff until it completely dissolves.  Add to your bottle of mead when cool.  Shake gently.

Egg White
- use an egg white, beaten.  If you worry about the safety of your eggs, get pasteurized eggs.  Add to your bottle of mead and shake gently.

In a couple of days, you should see some particles at the bottom of your wine.  You must take these away, as they can affect the flavour of your wine.

Cheaper/Easier Alternative:  Cold-Crashing
(Make sure your mead is at the alcoholic point that you want...as you'd be removing a ton of yeast from your mixture!)  Cold crashing slows active yeast down to a crawl.  Stick your bottle in your fridge after freezing and thawing it.  You'd notice your mead getting lighter in colour and more sediment at the bottom of your mead.  Decant your mead off of it when there is a huge amount.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finishing!
Let your mead age 3 months to 3 years.  When you judge the mead to be ready, decant it off of any potential sediment, and clean out the bottle once again.  If it is too dry, you can add some more honey or maple syrup to balance it out again.  You can bottle in old wine bottles or put it back into your 2 liter bottle.  Cap tightly.

Drink and be filled!  
(Mead is good ice cold or warm.  I've put half a shot of maple mead in my morning oatmeal in lieu of flavouring it - and it can also be used to marinate meat!)

Finished Tasting Notes:
Burnt Mead:
Tastes of vanilla, dark caramel.  A friend of mine tasted this one, and said...marshmallow. (Very weird!)  Not readily identified as honey.  Very much of a kick!  Probably a heavier, richer mead.  (Was made with store brand honey.)

Blueberrry Mead:
Cooked blueberry notes.  Lighter in taste.  (Made with billybee honey, frozen blueberries.) Also, kicks like a mule.

Blueberry Maple Syrup Mead:
Simplest mead, but very rich.  Still tastes of real maple syrup, very woodsy, very complex. Blueberries are hinted at.  (Made with dark maple syrup, frozen blueberries.)  Very strong, but sweet....will sneak up on you!  Blueberries were chucked in during the aging process.

Not Sure You Like Mead?  Try Faux Mead
-  Aging Time:  2 weeks
-  Ingredients:  1 pound of honey, 1 (750 mL) bottle of cheap dry white wine, 1 clove, 1 pinch of nutmeg, 1 pinch of cinnimin.
-  Simmer all ingredients on low.  Skim the scum off the top, and simmer it until it reduces back down to one quart.  Put it back in the bottle, and re-cork it.  Leave it to age for two weeks!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012 07:43:35 PM by astrangeone » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activate d!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012 10:18:20 AM »

Nice tut!  You make it sound easy LOL.  I LOVE mead and will be trying this out soon. The first mead I ever tasted was made with champagne yeast BTW.  Super yummy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012 10:19:40 AM »

How fun! I love mead, there was a mead booth one time at one of the beer fests here. Cranberry mead is amazing.

PS, the second I turned 19 I took a road trip to Canada Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
CostumeCat

Not a crazy cat lady, just crazy...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012 01:09:49 PM »

This is great! One question, you mention putting in raisins, is that required or just for taste?
Thanks again for this tut!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stay at home cat mum to 6 fuzzy babies Smiley
astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012 01:16:39 PM »

Raisins are for nutrients.  It doesn't effect the finished product - because honey is very rich in sugar, but does not have much nutrient for the yeast to grow.

I usually toss a couple in there anyhow for insurance policies.  (Oh, make sure you get unsulphited ones.)

Love mead, and I really can't wait for my burnt mead to to completed.  However, I'm going to be aging this for a year, so it's going to be sitting around for that long!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rosie1981

Wanderlust.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012 03:34:26 PM »

Oh wow.  My hub has started making mead about 3 weeks ago.  I can't wait to taste it.  Grin I will have to show him your post. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012 05:10:50 PM »

Mare mare you crack me up. I have never tasted it, as I'm in the south. I think maybe I might try to do this. I am over 19 and live south of CA. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012 05:51:51 PM »

It was Idaho for me Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012 11:41:35 PM »

Wow! Great stuff! I got really really drunk once on a bottle of really cheap gross mead that had been in the fridge for I don't know how long...I thought it would make my friends laugh if I drank the whole thing straight from the bottle. It did. But unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to drink mead for the next few years at least...got SO SICK! I'm keeping your recipes on hand for when I can finally stand to drink it again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012 11:46:53 PM »

Quote from: hgddm link=topic=412337.msg4872272#msg4872272
date=1344062495
Wow! Great stuff! I got really really drunk once on a bottle of really cheap gross mead that had been in the fridge for I don't know how long...I thought it would make my friends laugh if I drank the whole thing straight from the bottle. It did. But unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to drink mead for the next few years at least...got SO SICK! I'm keeping your recipes on hand for when I can finally stand to drink it again!

I promise you, my mead is pretty good!  I like sweet mead, and I keep thinking, what's the bloody point of having a dry mead.

Start making mead now - and in a couple years when you are ready to drink it; you'd have it available!  (Sweet meads don't need to be aged much, my maple mead is almost ready for consumption, and it's been about 3 months.)
We all have a drunk drink that we absolutely don't like because of an experience of over indulging!  Mine is tequila.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Steps to Hide a Grown-Out Fringe
5 Steps to a Grecian Twist
5 Steps to a Braided Updo
How to Stop Hair Static
Liv Tyler For Pantene in Chilled
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...