A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday August 3rd 2012  (Read 1496 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miloknows

Just happy to be here...

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2012 08:30:47 AM »

Hi, folks!

Happy August, and happy Fiber Friday (an actual holiday in my estimation).

I've been working on some more stuff from my carded batts.

This one originates in a green and orange wool batt, with some angelina, plied with bright pink merino:

This one, which I think of as Snowy Peas and Carrots, is a self plied single, from a batt of orange, green, and white wools of various types, plus some mohair locks:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's bad enough wasting time, without killing it.

My personal/crafty blog: http://www.miloknows.com

My Handspun and Hand-dyed recycled yarns etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/miloknows
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012 08:31:33 AM »

Shocked  How many fridays have their been since I last posted yarn to one?! To many!!
But I have this one, still in the works. It wouldn't be, if the rain stayed away.... There's maybe 1/2 a bobbin full left to spin, but I wont do this fleece in the house.  it's a little messy, to say the least.
It's one whole Jacob yearling ewe's fleece. I''m spinning it up so that I can make it into one big scarf, retaining the Jacob look.  So it's chain plied.  Hopefully it's done by next friday!

One bobbin full of Jacob yarn by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

And this is just some of the wool I need to wash, shoudl the weather co-operate!  C'mon sun, shine!

Some of the wool that needs to be washed by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

Must wash all the wool by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

What have you all been up to lately?

ETA: Miloknows, we posted at the same time! lol  So I've merged them Cheesy   Beautiful work,  I love the second one.  Looks wonderfully squishy Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012 08:34:08 AM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012 09:12:37 AM »

Miloknows, I agree with Belladune about the second one being awesome! I want to squish it and love it . And maybe someday make something with it? It looks like one of those yarns I would just love on.

Bella, Yay! You're sharing again! More than just your yarns are appreciated by me: your fiber and progress shots are inspiring as well. By "messy" you're saying that there is still quite a bit of VM in the yarn that falls out while you spin? For some reason I love spinning like that! I mean, having to pick while I spin isn't so fun but it just falling out it fun to me. Am I crazy?

Here's my contribution:

4oz alpaca, ~215 yards.
With my alpaca order from North Star Alpacas I ordered 8oz of that blue alpaca that I showed you spun up last week, but I realized (1oz into spinning it) that they only sent me 4oz of it. When I told Maple she got all embarrassed kind of and sent me 4 oz of brown alpaca just like the blue along with the rest of my order so that's what this is. It's amazing! I also spun up the other 4oz of the blue but it looks just like the one I posted last week so I won't share that with you. The blues are my most favorite yarns spun to date, though.

Also, I'm making another of my storage hammocks for my fiber to hang in my bedroom, since I have one with my yarns in it in the living room. !!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012 09:34:55 AM »

I would hug that yarn if I could Jexx.

By messy I mean there are a TON of second cuts, that have been hitting the floor, and lots of VM falling out.  A lot is staying in too, since I left the Lanolin in...  But such is life.  A lot would have come out if I'd have carded it too. Oh well, such is life, and that's kind of the point of this project anyway Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012 03:02:40 PM »

Hey gang!
I'm VERY NEW to the whole fiber/spinning/dyeing thing, so forgive me if my post is incorrect.
For my very first Fiber Friday contribution, I have some yarn that I spun and dyed. I don't know what type of fiber it is, but that's okay, I'm still a newb. The fantastic Jexxican sent me a learn to spin kit in the June Ongoing Pinterest Swap, and I'm hooked!
I dyed the yarn using Easter egg dye. My sis-in-law wanted some wisteria-colored yarn. This is as close as I could get. It's my first time dyeing!

p.s. I'm SUPER NEW to Fiber Friday, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it's somewhere to post fibery goodness you've been working on, my post is okay here, right? Sorry, I feel so unsure! Wink

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012 03:34:02 PM by pollyprissypants » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012 03:28:34 PM »

Yay!  A Newb!!!  Welcome Pollyprissypants!  I'm happy to see you posting here!   Looks great! and I can't wait to see more Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012 06:40:38 AM »

Pollyprissypants, your post is perfect, and your yarn is great, too. Looks like you're learning. Hooray first spins! Welcome to your new addiction Fiber Friday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012 04:44:07 PM »

My goodness, it's been so long since I've posted to Fiber Friday that I have forgotten how! I'm spinning away though, perhaps I will get my act together and post some pictures THIS Friday!

I have missed your inspirations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
His and Hers Beauty Summer Essentials
Watch Makeup Genius Kandee Johnson Transform Into Emma Watson
Get Emma Watson’s Neutral Smoky Eye Look
How to Apply Red Lipstick on the Go
10 Makeup Tricks That Will Hide the Effects of Allergies and Illness
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...