A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,972
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: books for ideas  (Read 2852 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onecraftybitch
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005 03:58:39 PM »

Congrats!

My suggestion is not a book, but THE best wedding reference I have found ever! The website is www.indiebride.com.

There are tons of forums/suggestion boards on everything...making invitations, dresses, flowers, bridesmaids, and so much more. It's like crafster if craftster was a wedding website. Really positive vibes and support!

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliel85
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Serial Crafter

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005 04:22:17 PM »

the antibride is wonderful, and perfect for people who don't want sleeves the size of a small poodle.  they have a website too, www.antibride.com.  I don't mind theknot.com, and theweddingchannel.com is also helpful from time to time.

erg, I'm not married, not engaged...is it odd to like weddings so much?  hmm..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bexmorgan
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005 06:42:56 AM »

I didn't like the Anti-Bride books, beacuse they aren't that untraditional... I also bought it from amazon and am probably bringing it down to the used book store soon.

I totally agree on the Anti-Bride books. They're not exactly anti-bride, just anti-getting ripped off. They're still vewy vewy prescriptive. Reminds me of the 'feminist lifestyle' products coming out all over the shop. I'm not feminist, but my soap is!

Ooops. ranty...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MopTopStumptown
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005 03:48:56 PM »

thanks for the www.indiebride.com tip.  i'm all over that forum. so much fun and and its' so positive! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

binny
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005 06:59:09 AM »

I love this book, The Perfect Wedding Details.  I checked it out from the library and have already renewed the checkout once, and I don't want to give it back!  It has very pretty details that you can make yourself.  Love it.  Some ideas would be neat decorations for your house, too. 

The author's other book, The Perfect Wedding Reception, is neat to look at, but is full of completely outrageous ideas that most normal people wouldn't be able to afford.  For one wedding she hires an artist to build/weld a huge tent framework and has the tent custom-sewn.  And she uses silk napkins. 

I don't remember if somebody already mentioned it, but the Bridal Bargains books are wonderful for general 'getting your money's worth' ideas.  I don't know if it really matters, but get the most up-to-date version (7?).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onecraftybitch
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005 02:56:31 PM »

I'm glad that you like the website! They are really positive and really supportive!

Congrats on your engagement!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paigele
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005 05:46:14 PM »

Check out the book Simple Stunning Weddings. I don't know who it's by, but I checked it out from the library, and it's full of cool, hip, modern reception ideas. I marked nearly every page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
philodendron5
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005 11:42:48 PM »

!!! Perfect! I also just got engaged and have begun scouring the web for ideas. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meatwad: I'm satan's onion... or scallion, something like that.

Frylock: I think you mean minion.

Meatwad: oh yeah, that's right.
Leaudemiel
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005 07:52:52 AM »

indiebride helped me SO much! it reminded me that i can have my wedding. i got help writing the ceremony, with decorating ideas that werent traditional, with a lot of venting. Smiley it made me happy i wasnt alone in the anti-wedding-industry.

theknot is very helpful with a few things too, especially locally. the hudson valley boards (where i live) meet up once a month to compare ideas and experiences with various things (vendors, dress shops, etc) and that has been great. they also let you made a website for free that the guests really loved.

i picked up the artful brides' favors book. didnt end up using any of the ideas (i thought i ordered the invitations one, but this one arrived in my mailbox and i took to long to do anything about it).

also, scour these baords! Smiley
m
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rock-it
rock your face right off.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005 01:58:49 PM »

UPDATE:  okay. so i went to Powell's and looked at the selection of wedding books and nearly vomitted.  they're all awful.  i came home, said to the future husband "poke my eyes out if i get a wedding book".   Tongue

I'm surprised Powell's didn't have a broader selection of wedding books!
If you go back, check out the interior design section. There are some really clever DIY books that may be geared toward decorating your house, but might inspire something in you. When I first started planning my wedding back in January, that was the first place I headed, and I got some great ideas! I wish I could name some specific books, but I was just leafing through them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn Hot Cross Buns on Violin
Learn to Play the G Major Scale in Violin
Keeping Elbow Still When Playing Violin
How it Felt to Butcher a 700 Pound Steer
Introduction to Vibrato on Violin
Latest Blog Articles
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat
Hooray for the Red, White, and Blue

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...