A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FIRST EVER REUPHOLSTER PROJECT!  (Read 6720 times)
Tags for this thread: reupholstery  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pennylane3434

Ask Beavis, I get nothing Butthead.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012 03:52:16 PM »

Yeah, electric knife! I cant imagine how impossible it wouldve been trying to cut the foam without it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OvenOfHappiness
Oven Of Happiness

Fresh baked love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012 04:07:37 PM »

Whoa!  Totally amazing!  Looks fantastic!

Also:  tell your model to "smize" a little more. Wink

http://ovenofhappiness.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/ovenofhappiness

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ker_pow
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012 07:12:57 AM »

That's so amazing.  I saw a beautiful couch on my sidewalk last week and, though it was missing cushions, wished I could have made it into something like this.  One day.  I have no experience though.  Do you have any tips on how to get started to even learn how to do things like this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soon...
pennylane3434

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012 04:58:09 PM »

That's so amazing.  I saw a beautiful couch on my sidewalk last week and, though it was missing cushions, wished I could have made it into something like this.  One day.  I have no experience though.  Do you have any tips on how to get started to even learn how to do things like this?
Honestly,  you dont need experience, especially if youre working on something that was free! Just go with your gut and keep working til youre happy with it. Rip it apart and put it back together the way you remember. It doesnt have to be perfect to the way it was before, it just has to be perfect to you.

This couch is definitely far from perfect, and Im sure my next one will be leagues better, but because I just plunged into it headfirst, Im proud of how it came out. Dont be afraid to take on something that might seem daunting like a beautiful street find because the worst thing that can happen is you cut the fabric wrong and end up wasting a yard or something. Itll still end up costing a bazillion times cheaper than a brand new couch from Pottery Barn and itll have so much more character and meaning.

Also, keep in mind that this couch is entirely NO SEW. You dont need any sewing skills or prerequisites to make a couch you love.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012 06:06:48 PM »

You did a wonderful job!  This totally rocks!  And I won't even mention to the boyfriend that damask is just a stylized floral.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clarachk
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012 06:41:52 AM »

I can't believe you cheated on the cushion after all that ball busting, HAHHAA! This couch looks like a labour of love to me. It looks amazing!!!! "The boyfriend" has a good eye for fabric, I do say! You did a fantastic job of the project and I enjoyed the backstory VERY much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." ~Albert Einstein

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." ~Albert Einstein
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012 08:34:37 AM »

awesome job! I'm trying to pluck up the courage to re-foam and re-cover some 1960s swedish armchairs I have....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LizzyEU
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012 03:38:07 AM »

Awesomely done! Any "learning points" you got from this for your next project?
How much fabric did you end up using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elferoni
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012 06:49:53 PM »

Impressive work. Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pennylane3434

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012 11:20:48 AM »

Awesomely done! Any "learning points" you got from this for your next project?
How much fabric did you end up using?
I want to say it was about 13ish yards. I bought 16 but probably had about 3 left over. Keep in mind, its a pretty petite sofa, so I'd go with 16 for a normal sized sofa (and because more is infinitely better than less when it comes to fabric for reupholstering).

One thing I learned is to remove the staples somewhere other than your bedroom. I still have thousands of them embedded in the carpet that Im too lazy to vacuum.
Oh and check while youre IN the store if you have the correct staples for your staplegun so you dont accidentally buy the wrong kind and spend an hour trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with your staplegun. I swear I thought I was going to break my hand on that thing.

And if youre going to cut foam, spend the 13 bucks on a electric knife if you dont have one. As frustrated as I was trying to form a rectangle into a cushion shape, I cant even BEGIN to imagine what it wouldve been like had we not made the trip to walmart to get the knife. (protip: Target doesnt have electric knives in store during non-thanksgiving season, apparently. Really annoying. Walmart will have one, but if your Walmart is anything like mine, there will only be ONE model and ONE actual knife available, and itll be tucked away on its side, hidden amongst the blenders. Its not next to the knives like youd logically think it would be. No one wants you to have this knife. They want you to suffer.)

I'm probably going to "finish" the cushion at some point in the future. Not soon, but at some point. I'll make a removable cover and a more cushy cushion with batting and stuff, but surrently Im working on about five thousand more home projects and the faux cushion is just fine for right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Big Mac Burger
How to Make Grilled Cheese
Honey-Truffle Grilled Cheese Recipe
How to Cook Truffled Egg Benedict
How to Make a Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...