A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FIRST EVER REUPHOLSTER PROJECT!  (Read 6607 times)
Tags for this thread: reupholstery  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pennylane3434

Ask Beavis, I get nothing Butthead.

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2012 06:56:54 AM »

So Ive been a mental-reupholsterer for as long as I can remember. I would see a beautifully handcrafted piece of vintage furniture on Craigslist covered in hideous, stained, or ripped fabric and I would exclaim proudly "I can reupholster that!" I mustve said that phrase (in my head or otherwise) countless times in my 22 years of existence. But Ive never ACTUALLY reupholstered anything. Ever. Not even one of those "strip the piece and then get intimidated" type deals. I just never needed to. People never really gave me the opportunity to reupholster anything (probably due to the terrifying image in their minds of me wielding a staple gun). So when my boyfriend FINALLY took me to pick up a piece of one of these beautiful-but-ugly pieces I found on Craigslist, I almost peed my pants with the excitement of the project.

I haggled the elderly woman who owned the couch from 100 to 50 bucks, which I still kinda feel like may have been too much, but whatever. Haggling accomplished, therefore, win.
We borrowed our friends truck to lug the beauty home and all of a sudden there it was. My first reupholstering project staring at me in our garage.

Behold the Before!

Okay, If Im being completely honest here, I kinda loved the original couch. I have a soft spot for old lady fabrics and floral everything. Unfortunately(?) for me, my boyfriend does not feel the same way. In fact, he pretty much despises floral anything and wasnt too keen on having an old stinky couch in our new house. Oh yeah! I forgot to mention! This couch is not only my first reupholstering project, its also the first piece of furniture we purchased for our new home that we just bought but havent moved into yet! (You see the pressure starting to build on the outcome of this couch? Because I do.)

So we headed to the fabric store promptly 3 days after getting the actual couch and I was pleasantly surprised when my lovely boyfriend picked out a rather ah-mazing turquoise and cream damask fabric. HE PICKED IT. I HAVE A BOYFRIEND WHO ACTUALLY CHOSE DAMASK FABRIC! I swear, I thought he was going to pick some uber-masculine navy boring something or another. But no! He picked something I actually was planning to pick myself! It seems after 4 and a half years I am finally starting to rub off on the boy. Cheesy

He kinda prodded me to start the reupholstering right away (his eagerness was kinda infectious). I think he was worried I was all talk, which granted, most of the time I am. BUT THIS TIME I WASNT. In fact, I am definitely more passionate about furniture than any of the things I claim Im going to do but decide not to.

So I did it in one night.

Well okay. Thats not true. I did almost all of it in one day. Then I ran out of fabric.
This is where I was before we ran out of fabric:

Isnt that fabric pretty? The underbelly-whateveryoucallit part isnt so pretty, but whatever you dont even see that. I watched copious amounts of How I Met Your Mother whist removing staple after staple after freaking staple and then stretching the new fabric and restapling and stapling and stapling. Exhaustive process. I had a bruised hand the following two days.

So the boy picked me up some more fabric (way too much) and some nailhead trim and set me back to work in no time at all.

Before I knew it. I had the entire thing done.

I didnt, however have the cushion yet, because I made the (stupid) executive decision that I was going to toss the old one and make my own. One more trip to the fabric store and we picked up one GIANT (wayyyy too big) piece of super thick fabric (wayyyy too thick) that I was just going to magically cut it into a cushion shape. Thanks to the lady at the fabric store giving us the tip to use a turkey carver to cut the foam, otherwise Id probably be cutting that damn foam with a spoon or something equal dull and useless.

Fast forward many tears and frustrating comments from the boyfriend, and I made a cushion.

Okay.

I kinda faked the whole cushion. I literally safetypinned the fabric directly to the foam and flipped the damn thing over because YOULL NEVER SEE THE BOTTOM AND I DONT WANNA. Thats what I said to my boyfriend and he seemed to be fine with it.

Lo and Behold! The Final Product!

I think this is the first project Ive ever done where blood, sweat, and tears were all actually and not just figuratively shed.

Butt shot before, for reference:

Butt shot after:

And one with the Boy. I told him to model.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012 07:09:21 AM »

That looks professionally done.  Great job!

Is BF sulking b/c he thought that was the *model* thing to do?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012 07:27:23 AM »

This is a fabulous redo!  I love that damask fabric.  Good choice, boyfriend.   And you did a fabulous job with it, Pennylane!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radmom
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012 07:33:33 AM »

I love the before because the hippie gypsy in me would die for that couch. LOL  I have comment on the gusto you have to remove all of it and reupholster it. I have an old chair I need to do and to be honest, I am still trying to work up the courage to do it. LOl

job well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rousseline
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012 07:50:45 AM »

Wow, that's the most amazing couch ever! It looks so professional! Now I want to rehupholster couches too :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012 08:05:56 AM »

GREAT job! I admit, you jumped in like a trooper! I have an ottoman i'm redoing, and haven't yet managed to get past stripping the fabric. Your couch is beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012 08:16:58 AM »

Beautiful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012 09:18:37 AM »

Great job!!!  I bet it's going to look great in YOUR NEW HOME!!!!!!!!   congrats on both fronts!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012 09:51:05 AM »

That looks so retro awesome - great job!  I love the lines of the couch.  Could you show a close up of the fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
anefariousimp
Addicted to cute and tiny things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012 10:40:14 AM »

I love the fabric - he did an amazing job picking it out!! Great job reupholstering that couch =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be strange. Be weird.  Be geeky. Embrace cuteness =)
www.anefariousimp.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/anefariousimp
http://pinterest.com/anefariousimp/

***I don't do personal swaps - I was flaked on and it was not a great experience, however I am open to commissions***
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Gets Easier and What Gets Harder in Comedy
What Do Entrepreneurs and Standup Comedians Have in Common
Finding Joy Performing Standup Comedy
Matt Ruby on How Note Taking Helps Comedian Generate New Material
Matt Ruby on How Social Media Transforms Standup Comedy Career
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...