A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wine from store bought Grape Juice. Image heavy  (Read 1238 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

funkensteins
« on: September 25, 2012 06:36:39 AM »

I posted a blog on how to make grape juice wine, and then thought, "Hey! Why not share on Craftster!" I did a quick search and did not see anything already posted, so here goes:

It is Loosey Goosey, so bear with me!!

Country Kitchen Ghetto Wine

4 Quarts Grape juice 100%, no cocktail

4 Quarts Water

4 lbs Sugar

2-3 gallon or so wine jugs  (Like Carlos Rossi ones)

Packet of yeast   (bread or wine -who cares, it does have an effect on the finished product, but this wine is not for impressing people. It is for getting drunk, although wine yeast will make it stronger)

Fermentation locks (Can use real ones with size 6 rubber stoppers, or just slap a large punch ball balloon thing over the top (they sell them at Dollar General 2 to a pack on an end cap)

Directions:

Put everything in a big bucket (You can get the yeast going in a small bowl with a bit of warm water and sugar first if you like, it seems to be happier this way.) Dont even start with me about mixing it in a kitty litter bucket. I dont care what you say. And the floor is like a garage floorits not my kitchen or anything Dont even look at it!

Mix it up!

Let it sit covered with a towel for a few days. Stir it every day, except the last day. Let it sit 24 hours after the final stir (20 hours or 28 hours is probably fine too. I bet you could do it after like 2 hours, but I have never tried it, and all the recipes say 24 Whatever

Then, rack into gallon wine jugs. This just means pour it out of the first bucket, and into the jugs. Try not to disturb the wine too much, as all of the dead yeast and stuff has settled to the bottom (Called Lees) You can pour it through a funnel with a cloth over it to catch lees if you like, it isnt really neccessary, it mostly stays put until the end, and you can see it.

It will fill 2 or 3. If you can not fill them all the way, fill them evenly and fill with Grape juice to about an inch of the top Smiley

I use little cereal box tags to label them so that when I rack again (Every 3-4 weeks until clear and no lees) I can move the tags to the new bottles and wont forget what I made!)

Slap those fermentation locks on there and wait! (If you used a balloon, it will fill with air, that is normal, and means your wine is fermenting.

Rack into new bottles ever few weeks until the wine is clear, and then either bottle it into somaller bottles, or drink it up!

Let it sit in the bottle a year for best flavor.. (HA!! I have no idea how it tastes after a year, mine has never made it that long. it tastes ok after 6 weeks If it is not sweet enough, add more sugar next time. Too sweet? . you know the drill.

This recipe can be found on my blog as well: http://caseywashere.com/blog/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012 07:04:13 AM by funkensteins » THIS ROCKS   Logged

astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012 09:30:19 PM »

I've done this with Fruite brand fruit punch - the yeast seems to love the corn syrup in it and the finished product is pretty good.

I also did it with the fresh Welch's grape juice.  First drinking the product was pretty harsh (after 1 month), after three months --> it was okay.  Aging it for nearly a year made it taste really good and really like wine.

I'm making mead/honey wine with this method as well...although not in huge batches like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activated!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tony DiTerlizzi on His Audiobook, A Hero for WondLa, Read by Teri Hatcher
Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus Answer Fan Questions
Behind the Scenes of Writing Between You and Me
Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus Read from Between You and Me
White Horse Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...