A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,938
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blueberry Cheesecake Cake  (Read 1670 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_77_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenleahlynn
« on: August 01, 2012 04:03:59 PM »

Blueberry Cheese Cake Cake

It’s blueberry-picking season here in Indiana.  Our family took a trip to the patch and picked 5 lbs. Most went into the freezer, but I also made blueberry syrup for pancakes, and I tried a new recipe for blueberry streusel coffee cake. I found it in the “Cake mix Doctor” book by Anne Byrn.  The cake part was fabulous, rich dense moist, but all the blueberries sunk to the bottom, and the topping and nuts didn’t go together well.  When I was asked to bring a birthday cake for my grandmothers party, I decided to alter it a bit into a layer cake, with blueberry syrup, and cream cheese frosting made from scratch.

I rolled the blueberries in flour to help them float, and only added them to one pan so I would be assured a solid bottom to my cake. The berries were actually visible from the top, so I placed the blueberry layer on the bottom, added a layer of frosting, and placed the plain layer on top, then covered the cake with the cream cheese frosting. i thought about putting the syrup in between the layers, or drizzling the top of the cake, but the kids voted for it on the side. I put a small pool on each plate and let my guests choose whether to add a little or a lot of the syrup to their plate. The whole cake was pretty to look at and decadent to taste.

Cake-

1 pckge white cake mix
1 (8 oz) pckge cream cheese
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup milk
3 large eggs
2 tbsp flour
¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries

preheat oven to 350, and set out cream cheese to soften. Spray 2 –9” pans with nonstick spray.  Blend cake mix cream cheese, oil, sugar milk and eggs. For 2 minutes. Batter will be thick.   Pour evenly into pans.  Roll blueberries in small amount of flour.  Sprinkle blueberries on top of one of the pans.

Bake cake until golden, about 35 minutes, and allow to cool before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
1 (8 oz) stick butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

set out cream cheese and butter to soften. Blend cream cheese, butter, and vanilla.  Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until desired stiffness is reached. This frosting can be very soft at room temperature. Store in refrigerator to firm up and hold shape, and set out for 1 hour before serving.

Blueberry Sauce

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1  ½  cup water
1 cup sugar

Rinse blueberries if fresh, and place in a pan with ½ cup of water. Bring to a boil and crush berries with a back of a wooden spoon. Simmer stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Press mixture through a strainer, retaining the sauce and discard the solids.

Rinse pan, and return to stove top with 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil stirring frequently, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add blueberry sauce and simmer additional 2 minutes to desired thickness. Allow to cool, and refrigerate or serve at room temperature.

it tastes like summer, the syrup is so good on pancakes and waffles even in the winter.

jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn
-i love to try new crafts, and learn new techniques. my strength is color pencils, but i also scrapbook, stitch, crochet, bead, any excuse to head to the craft store!

harry potter craft along
teesha moore patch swap
breaking dawn swap
ongoing atc swap
MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012 10:33:05 AM »

This doesn't look difficult at all.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brackish Potato
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012 11:35:26 PM »

Oh my! This sounds amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists.

"Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!" -Dr. Seuss
jenleahlynn
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012 06:55:26 AM »

i didn't start making frosting from scratch until a couple years ago, but with a good mixer it's not tough, and it tastes so much better. you can replace the cream cheese with another stick of butter for buttercream frosting. if you want to get fancier with your decorations, replacing the cream cheese with crisco will hold it's shape and get a thin crust, but i think it doesn't taste as good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn
-i love to try new crafts, and learn new techniques. my strength is color pencils, but i also scrapbook, stitch, crochet, bead, any excuse to head to the craft store!

harry potter craft along
teesha moore patch swap
breaking dawn swap
ongoing atc swap
Tanath
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012 06:59:32 AM »

That looks like a very good cake for summer.
I like the fact that you were thinking on your feet and modified your plans to fit the results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop! - Alice in Wonderland
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Roz Savage Talks About Rowing the Atlantic
Meet Author Ruth Rendell
Tania James Talks About Atlas of Unknowns
Meet Author Marina Nemat
Nicolle Wallace Talks About Eighteen Acres
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...