A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Covert Art Abandoner's Swap (SU Closed; MAIL BY 10/01/12).  (Read 26016 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

calluna
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2012 01:07:43 PM »

Bring on the new people! And Smmarrt, share your abandonment stories and/or pics if you can!

several people would get to see and appreciate it, though most still wouldn't want to touch it
Calluna,
Why do you think that?

Because of germ-phobic people and the reputation of public restrooms as being the nastiest of places (around here, at least). Most times I'm in a public restroom I hear and see people freaked out about simply being there; they hold their breath and are vocally terrified of having their children touch anything. Of course, some places are cleaner than others, but if a place is full of flies and there's at least one toilet that remains unflushed/clogged with someone's bodily waste sitting there in the open all day, (this has been the norm in my experience), it fuels the sense that disease/germs are festering there. I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience, though; I feel better about doing the same now!

I went on a hike Sunday and scouted out a couple good wilderness-y spots to leave things. I need to remember to start bringing art-to-abandon with me when I go places; my good intentions haven't led to any action yet.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2012 07:29:41 PM »

I remember walking in the neighbourhood before and one home had some funky trees, and I noticed that some of the stones and gravel around the tree base (and in holes in the tree) were not natural, but were cute carved  or painted stones with faces - that maybe a an idea too.  At the very least, this may be on my own personal to do list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2012 07:38:18 PM »

To add my two cents to the bathroom convo, I just wanna say if I found a piece of art in a bathroom, regardless of the conditions of the bathroom, I think I'd still think it was an inspiring find...maybe more so if the bathroom was unkempt. Though that being said placement would be key - I can't say I'd be eager to pick up a piece of art if it was sitting in a pile of dirty paper towels or some such, but hanging on the hook on the door wouldn't worry me at all.

And painting rocks to abandon is definitely something that crossed my mind. The only draw back is unless you are able to mail the rocks priority it might be a little iffy on shipping cost. Though I suppose you could do small rocks.

Anyone else planning on making extras of their art to abandon themselves? I know I am  Cheesy This would make an awesome craftalong too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2012 11:09:44 PM »

What I was thinking of was manufacturing my own "rocks" - making a form with mesh and covering it with 2 part resin clay like Apoxie Sculpt - light weight, and durable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Lady_Lilybell
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2012 05:45:54 AM »

I have been collecting my bosses empty Altoid tins. It's just two so far but I have three art ideas depending on where the art is going.

I plan to make extras of my own stuff to drop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muahahahaha
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2012 05:46:29 PM »

Hi I just sent in my questionare... I'm excited for this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
domesticmamma
Veni, vidi, vici.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2012 08:36:41 PM »

but if a place is full of flies and there's at least one toilet that remains unflushed/clogged with someone's bodily waste sitting there in the open all day, (this has been the norm in my experience), it fuels the sense that disease/germs are festering there. I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience, though; I feel better about doing the same now!

Ohh God I hadnt even thought of dirty bathrooms! The ones I visit (to drop art) are usually in my campus, libraries or schools, wich I can thankfully say, are well kept and clean! I leave them in the door hook if it has one or on top of the plastic cover of the toilet paper (dont know what they are called). I wouldnt leave anything on top of the toilet or uncovered toilet paper, or anywhere near a trashcan! But I see your point.
I went on a hike Sunday and scouted out a couple good wilderness-y spots to leave things. I need to remember to start bringing art-to-abandon with me when I go places; my good intentions haven't led to any action yet.  Cheesy

Scouting for spots to drop is a very important part of it! It will lead to action once you are sure youve found the right place for your art! Sometimes I pass by a spot for weeks before being sure that the "right" person will find it, it makes the letting go part so much easier!

And painting rocks to abandon is definitely something that crossed my mind. The only draw back is unless you are able to mail the rocks priority it might be a little iffy on shipping cost. Though I suppose you could do small rocks.
I found some beautiful rocks that were perfect for "skipping rocks" the other day, but taking another glance at them I thought about painting on them. So I took six stones home, about the size of the palm of a hand, they were around 3"-5" thick and I wanted to see how much shipping might cost. They fit into the smallest of an USPS Flat Rate box, wich costs a bit less than $6.00 to ship!
I suggest you look around for stones that fit into these Flat Rate boxes, the cost of shipping wont be too bad regardless of the weight!

Well so far my swap ideas are down to 3 proyects, I guess I will be able to choose wich idea to go with when I know where they will be headed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2012 09:03:23 PM »

Our local paper had an article a few years ago about the nastiest and the nicest publicly accessible bathrooms in the city a few years ago.  This made me think about that.

If I was going to abandon in a public washroom, it probably would be ones in nicer hotels, libraries, nice business buildings, and renovated large malls - from my experience in this city, those are the nicer ones. 

I think I may consider abandoning along some of the large parks and hiking trails near home, or perhaps places like the local large art gallery, near the art college, or parliament buildings, my old university, library, or my hospital if I am abandoning indoors.  If I get outdoor items and don't abandon them all outdoors, I may tuck one in an indoor planter or something and see if it gets found.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
Ninaprettyballerina

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2012 01:03:06 AM »

This is the most fantastic idea!!  im new here so am not allowed to swap until i reach my month's end but i would love to do this again in the future!! Cant wait to see photos!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2012 03:19:19 AM »

Ooh I just had the idea of hanging a piece of art from a clothing rack at a store, tucked in one of those round carousel things so that someone would stumble upon it while browsing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Curling Iron for Perfect Beachy Waves
How to Nail the Half Moon Manicure
Chipped Nail? Fix It Without Breaking a Sweat
How to Shape Your Nails Like a Pro
A DIY Guide to Healthy, Happy Cuticles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...