A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Please take a moment to congratulate and thank our newest Craftster Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss!
Total Members: 315,408
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Burp cloths + tips for sewing minky  (Read 543 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FreakieGeekie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 25, 2016 01:32:43 AM »

My son is due March 30th and since we only received six burp cloths at my baby shower, I decided I needed to make a few extras because they're so useful.
The ones my aunt made for me were a patchwork mixture of minky and soft flannel on one side with cotton on the other side. I really loved the feel of the minky and my fiance decided that's what I needed when I picked up a remnant of it at Hobby Lobby (I actually picked it up, petted it, then put it back but he decided that I *needed* it).

I made a pattern based on one I'd seen on Pinterest (no printer to print the one I found). The backing fabric is some Spider-Man flannel I'd had in my stash. They're 11" x 16".
These burp cloths were my first time working with minky and let me tell you, it is NOT fun to work with if you don't know what you're doing, like I didn't when I started. It slips and slides as you pin it and tries to slide around while you're sewing it, too.
To save yourself a headache, do what I did (I learned these through trial and error):
Have a lint roller handy because minky sheds like crazy when you cut it (and only when you cut it).
Use alligator clips (or those little nickel hair clips like you can find at Hobby Lobby) with your pins (clip it THEN add pins) to hold together the minky and whatever other fabric you're sewing with it (this works with minky on minky, too: I tried it with some scraps).
Place your clips about every two to three inches around the edges then put a pin or two between the clips about an inch apart. This helps prevent slippage better than the clips alone.
Make sure the minky is on the BOTTOM when you're putting the fabrics together and when you sew it on your machine.
After you've finished sewing with the minky, clean out your machine because you're probably going to have little bits of minky fluff all up inside it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016 01:48:30 AM »

Looks like a lovely idea for a baby.  I haven't heard of minky fabric before. Is it a kind of velvet? Ordinary velvet is not really suitable for babies so I would guess it is a more washable version.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FreakieGeekie

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016 01:55:44 AM »

Minky is a low-pile plush knit polyester fabric that has a very slight stretch to it. It feels a bit like crushed velvet and is machine washable/dryable. I've heard it feels like mink, which is where the name "minky" comes from, but as I've never felt mink, I wouldn't know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016 05:17:35 AM »

Thanks. Sounds like a very useful fabric if a little tricky to handle.  I've never stroked a mink either so I couldn't make a comparison.  They have teeth so I don't think they would be happy to be stroked  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yoopidou
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016 01:34:27 AM »

These minky fabric burp clothes look so soft that I would love to put my face on them. Your baby should enjoy them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FreakieGeekie

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016 01:32:36 AM »

It's so soft! My fiance took one of the scraps and rubbed it against his face then said "If this stuff was cheaper I would want a blanket out of it."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Time and Temperature Tips for Roasting a Turkey
Roasting a Holiday Turkey
How to Garnish the Platter with Turkey Leftovers
How to Remove the Breast Meat of a Turkey
How to Remove the Wings of a Holiday Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...