A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 307,985
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Serger vs. Sewing Machine?  (Read 1700 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CarinaJo
« on: August 01, 2012 11:30:25 AM »

I currently own a Brother LS-30 which is in pretty good shape, no complaints. However, today I got sucked into the little Viking/Husqvarna corner at my local Jo-Ann's and got the whole serger/overlocker spiel. 

As awesome as it was to see all the interesting things you can do with a serger (and the free classes), I still have some questions so I'm asking:
1- Is there anything -ANYTHING- that a sewing machine can do that a serger can't?
2- Does a serger really make sewing apparel easier?
3- Does it make sense to own both a serger and a regular sewing maching?

Thank you all in advance for your answers and comments!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madannevain17
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012 01:00:42 PM »

I own a three sewing machines as well as a serger (the sewing machines are by Brother, the serger by Singer--- just the cheap $200 one). The reason that I got the serger was because I wasn't able to do any overlock stitches on my first machine. I think I could probably live without my serger. Major perks: no switching sewing machine feet to alternate functions. I can have both set up and running at the same time to go back and forth between the too. Also, that handy built-in knife to trim along the edge is useful, but dulls rather quickly. I think I need to get it replaced.

Downside: I think it's a little more difficult to find instruction for sergers. Youtube didn't yield much when I was trying to learn, but I'm sure a class would teach you all you need to know.

That's my two cents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FunThreads
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012 03:59:58 PM »

A serger is nice if you do a lot of garment sewing. It's fast, does a nice professional finish and cuts the seam fabric while you sew. It does not replace a regular machine though. A serger isn't good for curves and some sections of garment construction. A regular machine does more stitches than a serger (decorative, buttonholes, etc), it can sew in situations where a serger can't like things that need accuracy. A serger compliments your regular machine for garment sewing but does not replace it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preventec47
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012 05:58:13 PM »

I am confused by the above comments.  I see a serger does not do
curves very well so it would seem that if you were to do curtains
or seat covers or tents that a serger would be best.  Yet the
comments say sergers are best for garments.
Please clarify further when where a serger is best used.
Especially please reference these heavier fabric applications
I mentioned like the tents, curtains and seat covers etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012 07:49:44 AM »

Mainly the comment about curves is that you need to be able to clip the seam allowance to make a curve lay properly.

I will run my pattern pieces through my serger to finish the edges and then sew them together with my sewing machine.  That way everything looks better on the inside but I can still have my curves laying nicely.

Sergers are also great when you are working with a material that frays easily. 

What kind of material were you planning on using for the tent?  I am not sure how well a regular serger would handle the heavy canvas for a tent.  Seat covers/cushions and curtains shouldn't be a problem. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
swampcrone
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012 11:52:31 AM »

Sergers can't do buttonholes, top-stitching, attach bias binding, use a ruffler, blind hemming, rolled hems, quilting...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
We Can Do It!
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...