A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,779
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First garden attempt UPDATE  (Read 2684 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cjohns6
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013 03:56:31 PM »

I manage to grow 3 pumpkins. They were bigger than a melon but didn't ripen until November. I only took pictures of them when they first showed up apparently.

My strawberry plants are still alive and green even though it's winter. I'd thought they die from the cold, but we've had a mild winter.  The last strawberry it gave was in the beginning of December but was so tiny. I did get another batch of Kale to grow that survived the bugs, they made a tasty salad.

I pruned the apple tree and tied it off for spring growth and continued espaliering. It grew about 3 feet this year! The orange tree is thriving well inside near a window. It's about 2.5 ft.

I'm also growing cilantro inside. I'm thinking about more dwarf tree varieties for large pots to thwart the hungry dogs.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013 04:00:19 PM by cjohns6 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013 11:50:01 AM »

It looks great. It is normal for strawberry's to stay green, if it is a mild winter. But I think it is very rare to get berries in December  Smiley. But i suppose it depends on where in the world you live. Where I live, you can get strawberries from the end of June to the middle of July, and thats it. Lately some have breed varieties with a longer period of berries, to the end of August. But they don't taste like the 'real thing'.
  Good luck with your pumpkins. The plants looks so lush and green.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013 04:32:28 PM »

I tried growing tomatoes and strawberries last summer, but I didn't stay in one place long enough to take care of either of them. The tomatoes were at my boyfriends, and I let his dad borrow them in order to transplant them. He kept them in the darkest corner of his house with no water, so they died. I tried again and I wasn't over often enough to keep them watered adqueatly. The strawberries were at my dads, and I think they watered them when I wasn't there until my stepmom realized that they were supposed to be mine, then she just let them die. As soon as we get an apartment, I'm growing SOMETHING, whether it will be herbs on a windowsill or tomatoes and strawberries on a deck. Or both. Hoping for a deck!

My mother grew quite the impressive garden when she had the yard for it, watermelons, lettuce (or cabbage? I was really young, don't remember) broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes of all sizes and colors, raddishes, potatoes, and that's all I can remember, but we had a huge yard and half of it and my old sandbox was a garden. Probably grew cucumbers or zucchini as well, or both. I WANT THAT! That is what I want to be able to have. And chickens and a dairy cow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Santa Montefiore Discusses Her Novel The Woman from Paris
A Trailer for Shadow Creek by Joy Fielding
The 10 Best Non-Fiction Books of 2012
The 10 Best Novels of 2012
Simon Mole Performs His Poem "Making Bread"
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...