A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dumpy peasant shirt >> Yoke-y tank top thing (kind-of tutorial)  (Read 2401 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bopscopbird
« on: July 31, 2012 01:00:53 PM »

I've been in super-recon mode lately, and especially obsessed with the Flapper/Roaring 20's sack dress.  So now I have all these flapper dresses that I can't really wear out on a regular basis, so i decided to finally do something 20s-ish with this top that's been hanging out in my closet for ages.  It was a gift and I never really liked it.

So first, I cut off the sleeves.  It looks okay but still a bit too...much of that print!

I rummaged through my closet and found this top (the color is way off in this pic, my camera is on drugs I think! haha!), which I really like but it shrank in the wash and is now too short for me.

I cut out the yoke from that shirt and pinned it upside-down onto the other shirt like so.

I stitched it down, flipped the yoke right-side up and pressed it (sorry _ I forgot to take a pic of that step.)  Then, I measured on my dummy and cut/sewed two tubes from the pink shirt.  Then I pressed them and stitched them to the top of the yoke, making straps.

Now here's when I got too engrossed in what I was doing and didn't take any more pictures till i was finished.  Basically what I did was baste the gathered parts of the shirt into place, then cut off the remainder of the old collar.  I cut off the bottom hem of the pink shirt and sewed it around the bottom of the armholes and on the back neckline (where I had basted to keep the fabric more or less gathered like it should be).  i had to do some hand sewing with the pink trim to make it stay up and not show the cut edges.  Anyway, here's the final product.  As an afterthought, I took out the bottom elastic and cut off that stupid tie on the side.  That's why it's all flowy in the pics of me wearing it!  Hope you like, I had fun!  And sorry about the lazy tutorial!

Any constructive criticism appreciated.  Thanks for reading Smiley
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012 01:28:11 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
silvermander

+ 3D10 fashion = - 2D6 time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012 01:09:26 PM »

Honestly, I would not have thought to put those two tops together because of the colors, and when it was pinned I really didn't see it, but it all pulled together in a lovely way.

I'm very impressed with the concept through finished product, and it looks very well put together.  You've inspired me to rethink certain items and possibly do something a bit more unexpected.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never regret the things you've done, only the things you've dared not do.
Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012 09:41:14 PM »

Wow!  Excellent rercon, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fit Your Image Size to Your Print Size
How to Draw Eriko from Dragon Crisis
How to Make Great Selections in Photoshop Elements 11
How to Draw Disco Bear from Happy Tree Friends
How to Draw Diego from Dora the Explorer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...