A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rider Prider Scarf- With TUTORIAL!  (Read 8693 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , craftster_best_of_2012 , scarf , canada , roughriders  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peachyinthe916
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012 01:32:29 PM »

Belladune,

Thanks for the tutorial! I'm very inspired and was wondering if you have any notes about the yardage needed to complete the scarf? How much yarn did it require?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012 02:37:33 PM »

You're welcome!  As to the yardage, I've looked around for the stats on the yarn I used, and I can't find it.  But Knowing that I filled a bobbin when spinning it, and that I can fit about 175-200 yards of yarn that weight on one bobbin, I'm going to guesstimate somewhere between 160-180 yards (as I have some left over)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SneakyFoxeh
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012 04:21:26 PM »

Wow, thank you so much for the tutorial!  I've been wanting to try out weaving, but the costs for a loom are a bit high.

Might try this out this weekend. tehe...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012 11:07:25 PM »

Oooooh, this is giving me ideas. I'm generally a worsted-weight-and-thinner kind of girl, I assume you used screws instead of nails for stability and to keep the yarn from sliding off the top, yeah? I'm poor and will probably end up with a 1by instead of a 2by, what if I attached a thin strip of wood along each end of the board, and used the increased depth to anchor longer nails? They'd be taller and thinner, allowing for more of them and making for a denser fabric, and the extra height of the strip would give me more clearance between the scarf and the board, allowing for better shuttle maneuverability...am I making any sense? Argh, why does it have to be two in the morning, I need to acquire some lumber so I can experiment with things, RIGHT NOW.

eta: Got so distracted by my head full of ideas I forgot to say the scarf is absolutely gorgeous and thanks so much for sharing your method! I was obviously very inspired Cheesy Read this thread right before my shower and I spent the entire time plotting out colorway combinations and whatnot.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012 11:25:08 PM by aliastriona_angerboda » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012 06:53:30 AM »

Aliastriona_angerboda,  All of you 2 am ramble makes perfect sense!  I used screws for 2 reasons  1) They were available (my husband has a gaint pluming shop, so there are more screws around then nails) and 2) I'm a heck of a lot better with a cordless drill then with a hammer!  Nails would work eaqually as well.
So happy to inspire, and thank you for the compliment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012 07:19:58 PM »

Anyone else have a super C-ster crush on Belladune? Or am I the only one? I know I can't be the only one. She's one of my C-ster heroes. Hm, I should make her a cape sometime.

But yes, the scarf is lovely and I always forget how easy it would be to make my own loom. Bah! I've been meaning to get into weaving but it doesn't look like this is the year to do it for me. And always with the hand-spun! Pieces that are both hand-spun and hand-woven are the best. And pieces that use hand-spun loosely totally show off the awesomeness of it. Well done, my friend. *clap clap clap*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012 06:10:00 AM »

*Blush*  Grin  Awe Jexx, you know how to make a girl rediculously proud of her humble achievements.  what a good way to start a Monday morning!  Thank you Darlin'! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freeli
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012 08:01:01 AM »

Sweet! Thanks again for the tute.

Now, the last time I did some weaving was in kindergarten, and it looked a bit different from yours. You could not see the Warps at all anymore.
So what do you do different?
Is it just that you use the same yarn (or the same thickness of yarn) for Warps and Whefts? Do you just not comb it down to press the Whefts together and cover up the Warps? Or are the Warps on your frame closer together than on the kindergarten wooden frames?

Your scarf looks so nice and light and fluffy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012 08:42:40 AM »

This looks like so much fun!  My one (probably dumb) question is:  when you start to weave do you anchor the end of your shuttle yarn, or just leave it loose and tie it into the fringe at the end?
  This may have to be a post Christmas project at this point - but looking forward to giving it a shot!  Smiley  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012 09:59:32 AM »

I leave it loose and either weave it in or let it be part of the fringe.  I don't secure it at all before weaving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Who Wore It Best? Angelina or Christina Aguilera?
Lady Gaga Dresses… Normal! And Shows Off New Tattoo
Kate Middleton Opts for an Easy Island Style on Tour
Adele to Design Plus-Sized Collection For Burberry
Fall Fashion Trends: Printed Pants
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...