A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why does this keep happening to my serger?  (Read 1316 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tightsandtea
« on: July 30, 2012 06:35:06 PM »

Every single time I use my serger, I get sporadic bunches of loose threads like this:

BUT, for whatever reason, it usually evens out towards the end. I hemmed about 2 yards of fabric for a skirt with a rolled 3-stitch hem, and even though I hadn't changed any of the settings or increased/decreased the speed, the last yard or so looked like this:

I have no idea what's causing this, since it happens sporadically, but it looks unprofessional and home-y. Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012 01:36:42 AM »

Have you checked the tension on the threads? If the thread is properly threaded? Sometimes when a thread is too loose that can happen. Or not in the right place or threaded in the right direction. Hoping that your grifers (Those things that make the "lock" on the threads. Don't know what they're called in English) haven't moved. That could be an issue. Hope this helps and that you can resolve your problem without taking it to get fixed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FabricFun

Used to be FunThreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012 08:08:04 PM »

Do you thread the machine with the presser foot up so the threads sit in the tension disks correctly? Did you try a new needle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tightsandtea
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012 03:41:09 PM »

If I make the thread tension tighter, it usually just snaps the the thread--when I make it looser, it's too loose. I usually thread with the tension foot up anyway, but I didn't know it affected the tension disks--I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

I'm just really annoyed because like I said, it seems to happen sporadically without any adjustments. Could thread quality affect it? I buy small spools for $.50, but if higher quality thread really makes a difference I'd definitely upgrade.

- -
Just another random question: is there any way to steady the foot control or make it less sensitive? Even if I keep my foot in the same place, it gets slower--but when I press lightly it goes too fast.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012 03:43:52 PM by tightsandtea - Reason: added a question » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FabricFun

Used to be FunThreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012 05:17:38 PM »

Better quality thread is always better for your machine over time. I know cheap thread will cause problems with the stitches on a regular machine more than a serger. A serger should run well with all types of thread if the tension settings are correct.

If you've tried another spool of thread, made sure it's correctly threaded through all the thread guides, changed the needle, cleaned any build up of lint from the feed dog area and it still acts up you may need to get it adjusted. The timing could be off and need adjusting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing Joe
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013 06:18:49 AM »

Do you notice it more with black thread? There's something about the dyeing process for black thread that makes it notorious for causing tension issues.  If the thread is irregular (thick, then thin, then back), it's not going to keep a consistent tension.

I never test my tension with black thread because of this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013 03:14:08 PM »

Maybe a dumb question here, but are you using serger thread and not just regular sewing thread?  If you are using sewing thread on your serger, that might cause a problem.  Otherwise, just disregard. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Burn Blu-Rays With FCP 7
how to Install Photoshop CS2 with Wine
How to Touchup Portraits in Photoshop
How to Create Fruit in Photoshop
How to Create Text Effects in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...