A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 18" Dolls - Red Hair that Oxidizes and Falls Out  (Read 725 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

1CraftyBunnyGal
« on: July 30, 2012 02:51:28 PM »

Just curious if anyone's experienced this. I sew clothing for 18" (American Girl) size dolls. I can't afford the AG dolls but I have some Springfield and other "knock off" types that serve as my "models" for the clothing at a craft show.

I noticed that my older red-haired Springfield doll's hair turned off-color, sort of faded, and started to fall out of her head at the roots. It had taken on an odor like an old crayon. Then the same thing happened to another red-haired 18" doll (I'm not sure who her manufacturer was as she was a garage sale find).

Since these are model dolls I'm improvising with Halloween costume wigs, so the poor dollies don't have to be bald, but I'm just curious about the red hair problem. For instance, if I were to invest in a synthetic doll wig for one of these dolls at a later date, should I be concerned that the same thing might happen again?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012 02:52:29 PM by 1CraftyBunnyGal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. -- Colossians 3:17
itsnikki
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012 05:13:24 AM »

That is odd. I have an American Girl, I know she's Pre Matell, but not sure about anything else... she's old. It's Felicity and her hair is just fine. Maybe it's the quality of the hair? Or the way it was treated? I don't know..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other.

My LJ

-Add me to your livejournal, and I'll add you back!!
1CraftyBunnyGal
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012 02:32:23 PM »

Hi - haven't been on Craftster in awhile because I was packing and moving to a new residence. I remember back in the summer I looked up some doll hair links - for people who do re-rooting and so on. There are different materials used for synthetic hair. I'm assuming your American Girl Felicity probably had a high-quality type of hair. Maybe what they use for synthetic wigs aimed at human consumers.

Meanwhile, my poor dolly is making do with her Halloween wig - it's a little big for her but from the front view you can't tell!  Grin I might cut it down one of these days and tack it to her head with some kind of removable tape - that way if it rots too, it can be replaced again. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. -- Colossians 3:17
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
AOL Motion Canvas: Future Art
AOL Motion Canvas: Wood Sphere
AOL Motion Canvas: Animated Geo
AOL Motion Canvas: Tops Above
AOL Motion Canvas: Dancers Man
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...