A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,948
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FURIOUS! - Another vendor selling my work.  (Read 2891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ollieorange
« on: July 30, 2012 02:32:54 PM »

I attended a craft show this weekend. It was lovely until I found something I MADE in a booth. My name had been taken off and someone else's signature was  in it's place. It was a very unique piece and I am POSITIVE it was mine. I even know where they got it. I approached the woman working the booth and asked her "Is this the artist's signature" She smiled and said "Yes! It is!" My response was "No it's not. I made this and donated it to the art re-swap last month. The only alteration to it is you've taken my name off and written your own". Her face drained and she snatched it and put it behind the booth. "Well, I wasn't going to sell it! It's a booth run by 12 year olds."

I really don't believe her story or care who was running it. I approached the organizer of the event as well as the person that organized the event from which they took the piece in the first place. I've done all I can but am still furious! I feel like I need to go to all the local shows to make sure they don't try to sell my work as theirs.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012 07:51:06 AM by jungrrl - Reason: made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012 07:53:28 AM »

Oh yeesh. Do you know who you originally swapped it with? Do you know who the booth was really registered to? What did the event organizer and the swap organizer say?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ollieorange
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012 04:27:03 PM »

I talked to both the event and swap organizers.(The swap took place through a local art gallery) The event organizer initially made excuses. I am going to follow up with the event organizer later this week to make sure she followed through and talked to the people running the booth with my work in it. The booth was registered a family. The boys were the ones taking credit for all the work, but the signature on my piece was in adults handwriting.
 The owner of the gallery that organized the swap was angry, but there really wasn't anything that she could do at that point. She said she had worried about things like that in the past but it never had been issue. In the future she will remind people that doing something like that is unscrupulous.
A few days later and I'm still angry! I wish there was more I could do! I've been keeping an eye out on other websites to see if they are selling anything else I made!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012 04:30:07 PM by ollieorange » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ollieorange
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012 04:31:06 PM »

Oh, the woman at the booth also tried to justify it because I didn't have a booth at the sale ?!?!?!? Doesn't mean they didn't steal credit for my work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chris in VT
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012 04:06:29 AM »

Go to www.copyright.gov and get all your work copyrighted! By copyrighted, I mean actually registered with the Library of Congress.

It's not difficult at all and then if you see your work in someone else's booth, or anywhere else, and being sold as theirs, you can sue them for copyright infringement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012 08:19:32 AM »

What's the likelihood that this person has more than one item of yours? I'm sure it feels really, really crappy but I guess if there's only the one item that at least might make it slightly better?  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012 03:28:57 AM »

Holding a court-recognized copyright is only effective if you're willing/able to hire a lawyer to take folks down. Otherwise, get mad, do what you can on your own, then suck it up and go on to the next art project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chris in VT
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012 04:00:22 AM »

I know one fellow exhibitor who had letterheads made up saying he was an attorney. And when he saw somebody copying his work he would send out a threatening letter to the one who copied his work.

He would stroll over the the offender just like a normal customer and chat, and ask for a business card. He then had all the information he needed to send the letter.

Legal? No. Did it work? Every single time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
madhatterdesign
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012 09:55:17 AM »

I know one fellow exhibitor who had letterheads made up saying he was an attorney. And when he saw somebody copying his work he would send out a threatening letter to the one who copied his work.

He would stroll over the the offender just like a normal customer and chat, and ask for a business card. He then had all the information he needed to send the letter.

Legal? No. Did it work? Every single time.

Nice.  Smart guy : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012 04:55:44 PM »

You pretty much lose your "that's unethical" argument when you do something unethical yourself, like pretend to be a lawyer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Half-Up Updo
How to Do a Low Ponytail
How to Manage Long Hair in Hot Weather
How to Style Long Hair to Look Short
How to Condition Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...