A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,037
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pocket Flying Disc or Crochet Frisbee  (Read 17507 times)
Tags for this thread: toy , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 30, 2012 01:03:20 PM »

Kids love 'em. Dogs love 'em. Adults get into flinging them about. I have gone crazy over these crocheted flying discs. Fling them about inside! Sail them outside. I'm at 5 dozen and counting. Help!

I decrease on the edge so that there is a rim folded under...about 3 rows. This makes them easier to fling, easier to catch and they fly remarkable well.

H crochet hook (or to size for a nice tight single crochet)
Double strand of yarn. I use acrylic, it's cheap and sturdy and washable. And I had lots of odd colors given to me in gift bags of yarn from folks stash cleaning. I use whatever I have, so some have wool, some cotton. It all works. I do not join the rounds, but just keep spiraling out and change yarns whenever I feel like it. I've made some with all the little ends of skeins of yarn that I just cannot throw out. I just add in a new color whenever I run out. Two different color of strands is fun to play with mixed with rounds of the same color.

Basic pattern is to start with a magic ring,
rnd 1: cast on 12 single crochet stitches using an H hook and double strand of yarn for sturdiness
rnd 2: increase every other stitch
rdn 3: increase every other stitch
rnd 3-13: increase every 3rd, then every 4th and so on. Depending on the yarn and how tight you crochet, I sometimes have to adjust with a round with no increases. They always are not quite flat, but you should not have obvious rippling. This pattern is very forgiving.
rnd 14: single crochet...no increases
rnd 15: decrease every 4th stitch
rnd 16: decrease every 3rd stitch...again adjust to the yarn. I sometimes have to randomly decrease every 2nd stitch to make enough of a turned under lip.
To block: Wet with hot water, wring out, flatten into a disk again, flatten between towels to dry.

Happy crocheting.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013 01:10:45 PM by pinkleo - Reason: adding pattern quote to first post » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012 01:19:03 PM »

Yikes! that's quite a lot! Shocked

Do you put weights in the rim or do you rely on the larger amount of stitches?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
cmarion3

Earth Crone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012 04:44:35 PM »

I decrease on the edge so that there is a rim folded under...about 3 rows. This makes them easier to fling, easier to catch and they fly remarkable well.

H crochet hook (or to size for a nice tight single crochet)
Double strand of yarn. I use acrylic, it's cheap and sturdy and washable. And I had lots of odd colors given to me in gift bags of yarn from folks stash cleaning. I use whatever I have, so some have wool, some cotton. It all works. I do not join the rounds, but just keep spiraling out and change yarns whenever I feel like it. I've made some with all the little ends of skeins of yarn that I just cannot throw out. I just add in a new color whenever I run out. Two different color of strands is fun to play with mixed with rounds of the same color.

Basic pattern is to start with a magic ring,
rnd 1: cast on 12 single crochet stitches using an H hook and double strand of yarn for sturdiness
rnd 2: increase every other stitch
rdn 3: increase every other stitch
rnd 3-13: increase every 3rd, then every 4th and so on. Depending on the yarn and how tight you crochet, I sometimes have to adjust with a round with no increases. They always are not quite flat, but you should not have obvious rippling. This pattern is very forgiving.
rnd 14: single crochet...no increases
rnd 15: decrease every 4th stitch
rnd 16: decrease every 3rd stitch...again adjust to the yarn. I sometimes have to randomly decrease every 2nd stitch to make enough of a turned under lip.
To block: Wet with hot water, wring out, flatten into a disk again, flatten between towels to dry.

Happy crocheting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
Antidigger
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012 01:11:43 AM »

Ahhh! Yes the turned under rim would do it, I think they're such fun and it's a great way of using up the scraps of yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012 01:57:27 AM »

Fun! I never would have thought to do this. Adding them to my list...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
jodcold
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012 07:35:58 PM »

I am going to try your pattern out.

I just made one last weekend (before seeing your photo) and it is 5.5 inches. I didn't use 2 strands of yarn, used 100% cotton. I saw these at an outdoors store and they were selling them for $14.99 and I thought that is a cool idea and I could make them for a lot less $.

Are you selling yours at craft fairs (I plan to sell at local craft fairs, but not online)?  If so, would you mind telling me the price you will sell them for (if you don't want to, no problem). I was thinking about selling mine for $2-$3 each.

Love the colors and patterns you used! These will be fun to do while traveling or waiting somewhere (I never go anywhere without my crocheting).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmarion3

Earth Crone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012 07:03:19 AM »

I've been selling for $5 and no one even blinks at that price. I was thinking of upping it for the craft fair as it is a fund raiser. Maybe 8-10 dollars. I've also make some smaller ones that I will sell for $5. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
jodcold
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012 11:42:58 AM »

Thanks for the info on pricing. I haven't been to a craft fair in so long that I am out of the loop on pricing.

I love the different patterns you designed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012 01:13:54 PM »

I missed this when you first posted. Great fun for kids and adults - and dogs. Thank you for the pattern. A wonderful way of using up scrap yarn and a great stocking filler for Christmas too I should think - or is it too early to be thinking of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bexster_94
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012 03:00:16 AM »

Oh wow, these are epic! I know what I'm making my brother for christmas now! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jennifer Aniston Reveals Her Tips for Perfect Skin
How to Organize Your Makeup
My Top 3 Websites for Chic, Cheap Accessories
How To Create A Smokey Eye
How to Get a Shimmery Bronze Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...