A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,120
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: care package for best friend with melanoma cancer  (Read 1581 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2005 12:48:57 PM »

An amazing friend of mine was recently diagnosed with a melanoma. They had to remove her toe, on which the growth was found, and she is going to go into more surgery in the coming weeks to have the lymph nodes in her leg taken out because they also have traces of melanoma. The doctor remains confident because the traces are microscopic. Meanwhile she can barely walk and is using crutches and her leg is really stiff. She's only twenty.

I want to send her something really great. We've been friends for a few years now, ran a review site together for a bit, gone through breakups together, and even lived as roommates for a few months last summer. I'd kind of been neglecting her for a while as well due to a lot of crap going on in my own life so I want this to not only be a care package but also a sort of "I still love you and think you rock" kind of thing.

I need ideas, though. Please help? I know what to send her as far as stuff she likes, but I'd like to send something that would stand out from just flowers or cards. Something to keep her mind active and her spirit high. I plan to send her a book or two but what else? She a graphic design major, she loves all things French, she's interested in geishas and photography and she likes cows and daisies and monkeys. Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated. And if you need to know any more about her interests, just ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005 12:56:50 PM »

How about one of those henna tattoo kits?  It allows her to do something artistic and allows her to "redecorate" her body.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinggodess
my mom thinks im cool.............

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005 12:57:29 PM »

What a moving story i had to reply. My best friend was in a horrible car accident 4 years ago with out going into details She was in a coma for 8 months and then became confined to a wheel chair and brain damage... she is not the same as she was but she is fighting every day......
The first thing that comes to my mind is SOCKS.... (maybe bacause im a knitter) but all kinds of socks covered with things she loves (cows, daises ect.) it would keep her mind of her toe when the cast comes off. You mentioned photgraphy.... when my friend was in her accident i put together a photoalbum / scrap book of pictures. A lot of the pictures where of people who loved her.... i called around and got these people to say somthing they loved about her and put those captions underneeth the photos.... i think its so great she has a friend like you ...... good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanna be crafty, not quite there yet
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005 01:26:48 PM »

I'd never have thought of the henna tattoo kits. We had actually planned to get henna tats done in Venice Beach last year when I was in LA visiting her. Thanks for the idea. Now I just have to figure out where to get one...any clue?

And you know, I probably never would have thought of socks, either. And since her leg's so stiff her circulation's probably not great and her feet may get colder than usual. That's such a good idea, thanks you so much. Last year I got her some monkey socks but I think her dog ate one of them. Since her dog's now lives outdoors I can get her several pair and not have to worry they'll meet the same fate.

I don't really know any of the same people as she other than her fiance and parents, and my ex-boyfriend whom I don't think she speaks to anymore. But I might make her a scrapbook of some of her favorite stuff and some pictures we took while I was in LA. She's into Asian philosophy so maybe I'll fill with quotes from Confucius and Buddha and the like. Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jennickell
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005 01:53:40 PM »

My mom just had surgery to remove melanoma and Lymph nodes from her leg (the lymph nodes came back from the lab cancer free, yeah!), she is at home recovering now and she said she is bored out of her mind.
But she needed some comfy light weight summer jammies, just a thought for something she can problably use.
I would make a gift basket with magazines, books, maybe a DVD and some munchies (candy, chips). What about a craft kit, like one of those learn to knit or crochet or some beading kits, color by numbers, even maybe some cheesy kids crafts kits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005 03:12:16 PM »

Glad to hear your mom's cancer free! I had thought of a craft kit but wasn't sure what kind to get her. Maybe I'll get her a Sublime Stitching kit with the monkeys. The color by numbers sounds cool, I can maybe even make a personalized one on the computer. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evaberry
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005 07:14:55 AM »

The color by numbers sounds cool, I can maybe even make a personalized one on the computer. Thanks!

Annette did these cool ones: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=3521.0. I don't know if she was selling them somewhere. Childish but for adults!

The other things I was going to suggest were an embroidered blanket or a quillt to keep her legs warm if she has to sit down for long periods. But they would take a bit longer to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gemjams
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005 07:27:01 AM »

I'm very sorry about your friend quack. I found this on amazon if it's any help
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002CNZKS/qid=1120054879/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_ur_2/102-7566168-2267345?v=glance&s=hpc&n=507846

Also I think a scrap book would be a really nice idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade jewellery, clothing and accessories

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BettyStiletto
DaisyTank
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005 08:51:15 AM »

a lot of good suggestions have been made allready, yay!

what i've done for friends in the past is make a cd of songs that are 'ours', and a scrap book(or notebook) where i wrote some good memories, thoughts, quotes, pasted pictures and clippings from favourite games/movies/celebrities. my best friend still has the one i made her. it only has about a dozen pages filled out by me, and she's been adding to it ever since

i really like the idea of comfy pijama pants and those craft kit ideas.  i hope she feels better
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005 09:37:10 AM »

If you go to hennapage.com you'll find lots of awesome, totally honest henna vendors. Theres also a message board there, so if you need further help, they'll help you out. They're all totally great over there and can recommend a good package for a beginner henna artist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Be an Architect - Part 7
How to Write Like an Architect
How to Design Like an Architect
How to be an Architect - Part 6
How to Be an Architect Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...