A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Braided Strap Jersey Maxi (and a plea for help)  (Read 1440 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2012 01:11:41 PM »

So I have a bit of a thing for jersey maxi dresses. They're super cute, you can make them as girly and adorable or bad-ass as you like with a few accessory changes, and they show off my arms while covering my legs. Hooray! However, I'm 5'10'' so most store-bought dresses are that horribly awkward just-above-the-ankles length, so I like to make my own. My most recent creation is this...

However, In order to make the skirt fit the fabric I ended up cutting it against the grain. I hadn't anticipated how weird this would make the stretch. That much fabric is heavy, so it ended up being about 6 inches too long. Also, it's incredibly clingy, and shows off all the wrong curves on my tummy. I think I want to add ruching/gathers/some detail to the waist to camouflage my wobbly bits, but I don't know how to go about it. I absolutely do not want to unpick and reconstruct, so I was wondering how feasible it would be to gather the excess length upwards at the waist, secure the gathered/ruched area and then run a couple of lines of (maybe decorative) top stitching up the sides of the dress to hold everything together. Any ideas? Huh
Comments & criticisms please.
Thank you creative folks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012 04:21:34 PM »

I love the dress. I'm not that great of a sewer, so I can't give any advice here, other than make a bunch of wide accessory belts to wear with different shoes, bags, etc. Love to see an action shot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
that1spazticchik

<3 The Donnas <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012 07:27:04 PM »

Such a cute dress! I don't have any suggestions, either...but I'm going to be making one of these myself pretty soon, so I'm hoping you get some good tips, because I could use them, too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012 09:53:39 AM »

Is the skirt cut straight down all the way down?  Without seeing it on you, it's hard to give advice, but the waist seam looks like it might sit a bit awkwardly.  Could you cut and re-attach the skirt a bit higher?  If it's A-line, that'd give you a bit more ease, too, through the belly.  The straps and neckline are absolutely gorgeous!  I don't blame you for not wanting to take apart the whole thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012 02:39:32 PM »

the waist seam looks like it might sit a bit awkwardly
...Just a mite. It's slightly A-line but not much. I've put it away upstairs for now along with my other "bugger, I really should have measured that better" dresses... I'll get it out again when I'm not feeling quite so craft ADHD and skipping from project to project...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shayneblate08
Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012 08:07:21 PM »

as long as he fabric isn't too heavy and long to sit in the arm of your machine, you can absolutely alter the bodice without unpicking.

I would start from the bust area at the top of the dress and do some fancy-looking yet easy gathers or ruching there either using the heavy duty thread gathering technique (use a matching thread with that) or some elastic thread with a gathering/smocking technique (just make sure you hand-wind the bobbin with that thread and make sure you're top stitching.

Your less complicated option would also just be to cut it and instead of reattaching at different point along the waist, you could use some of your extra fabric (or any fabric-- a contrast waistband would be nice) and create a wide-ish band around the smallest point of your midriff and just stitch that on on both sides (no unpicking required). Putting it at the smallest point of your midriff is not the only option (it just tends to be the most flattering on all body types) you could put it right below your bosom to not only draw the eye upward and away from any bits of your tummy you're uncomfortable with, but it also would make the bodice flow a bit better. Usually, the more piecing you have, the better it fits because the 2d fabric is able to contour to your 3D body better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...