A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doctor Who Tardis!  (Read 2856 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stephany719
« on: July 29, 2012 08:52:29 AM »

I made this Tardis for my husband after our Doctor-Who marathon with this crazy heat!  I couldn't find a pattern, so I free formed it all.  Had to use some cardboard to get the sides to stay flat and give it shape - and empty tissue box would have been best but I didn't have one.

Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jigdancer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012 09:39:27 AM »

That is ADORABLE! I am a crappy crochet-er (is that even a word?) but I'd be up to learning for this project. Do you have a  basic pattern you started with? Or did you just create it all as you went? I'd love one of these for my desk - I need to show my 20-something coworkers that 56 yr olds can be geeks too...I've been watching Dr. Who since Tom Baker was The Doctor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stephany719
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012 03:50:48 AM »

That is ADORABLE! I am a crappy crochet-er (is that even a word?) but I'd be up to learning for this project. Do you have a  basic pattern you started with? Or did you just create it all as you went? I'd love one of these for my desk - I need to show my 20-something coworkers that 56 yr olds can be geeks too...I've been watching Dr. Who since Tom Baker was The Doctor.

Basically, I free-formed it, no pattern, creating as I went.  I made 4 rectangle for the sides, decorated and stitched them together.  I make a small square for the bottom, and stitched it on.  Then I began stuffing, at which point I realized I needed something to help keep the shape of the sides, so I used some cardboard cut to size from an old box.  The roof was a bit harder, I tried many different stitches/combinations before being somewhat satisfied.  Each level is it's own piece.  The ridge is made by stitching in the back/front (can't remember, sorry) loops only.  I had a few pictures of the Tardis available at all times for reference.

Here's a few links for inspiration -
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=347764.0
http://sini-m.deviantart.com/art/Tiny-Crochet-Tardis-90239944?offset=0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=368028.0;all

Good luck with yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jigdancer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012 09:05:13 AM »

Thanks you for the directions, and the links. I'm going to search through my yarn stash for some blue yarn and give it a whirl. Here in Canada, they start showing past seasons of Dr. Who during the summer as a lead up to the new season in the fall sometime, so now i'll have a project to work on as I watch. Enjoy your summer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Awen
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012 11:42:35 AM »

I love that you stitched in the windows and doors. This is such a cute little project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batmansocks117
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012 10:56:46 PM »

This is so cute! I absolutely love that you put "Bad Wolf" on the side =D I just started watching Doctor Who (starting with the 9th Doctor, though I really want to go back and watch the original series too) with my boyfriend at the beginning of summer and we were instantly hooked so now I'm constantly on the look out for Doctor Who themed crafts =P
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hookinmouthcrochet
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012 10:41:24 AM »

I love the stitching you used to sculpt the actual shape of the tardis. I need to make a tardis ami for a friend and now I am inspired!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To look at a lot more of my stuff check out my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/hookinmouthcrochet87!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cirque Du Soleil Show Dralion Performers
Art Showcase: Messerschmitt ME 109 G
Building a German U-Boat
Art Showcase: Spitfire Mk IX
Art Showcase: Avro Arrow Mailbox
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...