A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyway to mimic a knit stitch in crochet?  (Read 1110 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: July 29, 2012 07:20:53 AM »

Hi there. I am a long-time crocheter but somewhat of a new Whovian. That being said, is there anyway to mimic the knit garter stitch but do it in crochet? I want to make a Tom Baker-style Doctor Who scarf but I can't knit. I can definitely do it with single crochets, but I have seen the knit garter stitch and just love it so much.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot. com/
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012 09:16:16 AM »

You might want to look into Knooking - that's knitting with a hook.  I found the technique to be a bit of a pain in the butt (especially compared to knitting with needles), but found that garter stitch was ridiculously easy to do. (It was only when you throw in purl stitches that it got annoying... but no purls in the Doctor Who scarf!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmyLynn98
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012 10:39:44 AM »

Thanks so much for the info! I'm going to look it up right now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot. com/
kimadagem
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012 10:20:33 AM »

You can also use afghan (Tunisian) crochet to make both knit- and purl-like stitches. Here's a video that shows how to make the knit stitch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvwBsxqL2_I
(The video calls it stockinette but that's the fabric being made; the stitch being demonstrated is the knit stitch.)

And this shows how to make the purl stitch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJz438LqKFY

To mimic garter stitch you'd have to alternate "knit" and "purl" rows. But it might depend on which scarf you're making; I think some were done in stockinette, which is all knit rows.

Afghan-crocheted fabric is usually thicker than regular crochet but that should be fine for a scarf, especially if you use a bigger hook than you normally would for whatever yarn you're using. But since afghan crochet puts all the stitches on the hook at the same time you would probably need an afghan hook, unless you can find a long enough regular hook for the width of your scarf.

There is one other thing about this method - your fabric won't look the same on both sides as it would with either knitting or the Knook method (which does produce a knitted fabric), so if that's important to you then you'll need to try one of those (IMHO, I think knitting is easier than Knooking). If neither of those will work for you then at least here's another option.

Good luck with your project!

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012 01:29:33 PM »

Yeah, I think knitting is a lot easier than knooking.  There are a couple of ways to do knit stitches in knooking, though, and one of them uses the same motions we're used to as crocheters - it's essentially the same as the Tunisian Knit stitch.  The problem with knooking is that if you make the knit stitches that way, the purls are stupidly difficult... in my experience, anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimadagem
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012 02:10:02 PM »

Yeah, I think knitting is a lot easier than knooking.  There are a couple of ways to do knit stitches in knooking, though, and one of them uses the same motions we're used to as crocheters - it's essentially the same as the Tunisian Knit stitch.  The problem with knooking is that if you make the knit stitches that way, the purls are stupidly difficult... in my experience, anyway.

I just sold my Knook set on eBay (which should give you some idea of what I thought of it Smiley ). I didn't do more than just try it out and that was a while ago, so I don't really remember the different ways to make knit stitches, but I'm wondering if the problem you just mentioned with purling has to do with the way the knit stitch is facing. In needle knitting the right side of the stitch is supposed to be in front; if the left side is in front it's called a "twisted" stitch, which is supposed to be the "wrong" way to knit. Personally, I think it depends on what the knitter is most comfortable with, both in making the stitch and in what it looks like. But with the way you have to use the Knook I could see it being hard to make purls if the stitches were facing the "wrong" way, especially with having to work the stitches off something that isn't stiff - the cord. That was actually the biggest problem I had - everything was so loose that I just couldn't maneuver the hook into where it was supposed to be. Maybe it was because I was used to using needles so I had something to compare the process to. Someone who doesn't know how to needle knit might not find it that hard. But I definitely had trouble with it, and it was really slow to me. Needles are a lot faster, so I'm sticking with them.

I definitely think there is a place for the Knook; it gives crocheters another option for the kind of fabric they can make, something that's thinner and more flexible than crocheted fabric. And that's a good thing. It just wasn't for me.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LyraAmbrose
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012 09:47:29 AM »

I had the exact same dilemma; I wanted to make a Doctor Who Scarf and can't knit. I picked up the knook and I really like it. My Doctor Who scarf is actually the project sitting in front of me right now.

The instructions in the book are ... okay but not great. It didn't click for me until I watched the tutorial videos they have online on the Leisure Arts website. I only bothered to learn the knit stitch, not the purl, since the scarf doesn't need any purl stitches.

I've found that the cords they provide aren't long enough to knook the scarf. I cut a piece similar nylon cording quite a bit longer (it's probably 3.5 feet, but I could get away with less), ran it through the hole at the end of the knook and then melted both ends of the cord with a match so it doesn't fray.

If you haven't been there yet, www.doctorwhoscarf. com is the best resource to make a Tom Baker Doctor Who scarf. They have patterns and even give recommended brands/colors for different types of yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is no cure for Curiosity.

Blog of Doom: http://ivorytowerofdoom.com/
kimadagem
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012 10:16:42 AM »

I've found that the cords they provide aren't long enough to knook the scarf. I cut a piece similar nylon cording quite a bit longer (it's probably 3.5 feet, but I could get away with less), ran it through the hole at the end of the knook and then melted both ends of the cord with a match so it doesn't fray.

About that cord - I was thinking it was the same kind of cord you could get at a fabric store or anyplace that sells trim. I used to work in a store like that and as I recall the cord came in different sizes (thicknesses). For anyone who needs more (I figure it will fray after enough use anyway), it would help to take a piece of the old cord with you so you can match the thicknesses. Just thought I'd pass that along for anyone who is knooking.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Darken Your Foundation For Summer
Topshop Felt Tip Liner Review
6 Beauty Trends Under $20
Caudalie Polyphenol C15 Collection Review
HSN Beauty Report with Amy Morrison
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...