A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,089
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two Stenciled Doctor Who Shirts  (Read 3619 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zzdia

oh-my-golly-wow-bananas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 28, 2012 08:20:40 PM »

Hey, all. Cheesy I can finally post this because my partner has received! Cheesy

First up is a shirt for the shirt swap:

(this image grabbed from the swap gallery because I didn't get a decent pic of the front of the shirt)

The idea really began with this part which was copied from a stamp design my partner had pinned. This was my first time working with freezer paper and I loved how I was able to make a really long design and it was sooo much easier to work with than sticker paper. I am so sad that I can't find freezer paper here, but am glad that craftsters have sent me freezer paper in swaps. I played around with the stamp design and left only two hearts on it so that it would stick with the DW theme.

Added the TARDIS after. Than I ambitiously decided that I had to have some Gallifreyan on it. After a long afternoon of tracing and cutting and painting, I had this on the back of my shirt:

I decided to go with the white parts because it looked like that would be easier to stencil. Of course, I wasn't staring at the image when I was sticking some of the inner islands on, and I got some of them placed differently. Oh well. This is the first time I've done a really intricate (and small-ish) stencil and I'm pretty chuffed with how it came out.

Then I decided to make my own shirt using the same Gallifreyan design. I put it in the back, but at a larger scale because I decided to actually paint the lines. I like to think of it as my geeky Gallifreyan tramp stamp shirt. Cheesy

Here's a really bad pic (taking pics of your own back is freaking hard!) to show  how it looks on:

Here's an in-progress shot with the freezer stencil in place:

I think I must have been slightly insane to take this on. They were all little islands! I did it circle by circle, ironing pieces on as I was cutting them because I would have mixed those pieces up if I hadn't. And those pieces were crazy small.

And a final picture of the finished design:

All in all, I'm glad that I got to see how crazy I could get with stencils and I love both shirts so much.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012 11:46:21 PM by zzdia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog :: pinterest

Swapping international? Read up on swapping tips!

Tomorrow is another day. Never say die. Tomorrow is the day I die
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012 10:12:44 AM »

The second one is amazing. I love the design of it: did you work out the symbols for yourself or is it a design from elsewhere?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
zzdia

oh-my-golly-wow-bananas

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012 08:02:52 PM »

The second one is amazing. I love the design of it: did you work out the symbols for yourself or is it a design from elsewhere?
It's an image floating around the net. It's from the Doctor's cot (but I'm not sure if it's really stated in canon that it's the Doctor's name in Gallifreyan, but still it's pretty) Here's a link to the image: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmcdqpvXjI1qej09uo1_1280.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DaringToBeGreat

freckle, freckle, what makes you so special?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012 07:46:19 PM »

Those are so great! I can't even imagine how long it took to cut all of that out. I certainly don't have that much patience!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zzdia

oh-my-golly-wow-bananas

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012 11:34:04 PM »

Those are so great! I can't even imagine how long it took to cut all of that out. I certainly don't have that much patience!

Thanks! I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't fixated on the idea. Cutting the stencil actually took me two afternoons, but I did find out that the freezer paper can take being removed and moved around and left overnight, so that definitely helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gala_apples
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012 08:37:23 PM »

That shirt is amazing! I especially love yours, the two tones of blue really make me smile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not attached to your world, nothing heals, nothing grows... we used to love ourselves, we used to love one another.

life is no cabaret- we don't care what you say, we're inviting you anyway, you mf'ers, you'll sing someday!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stir fry and Blanching - Chinese Cooking Techniques
How to Make Seared Duck Breast - Food Done Right
How to Make a Stir Fry Meal
How to Make Yakitori
How to Make Pad Thai - Thai Foodcast:
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...