A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrap booking with scraps and memorabilia?  (Read 1891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aliceadventure
« on: May 07, 2010 06:44:21 PM »

Hello, I've had a little look around for this topic but couldn't find what I was looking for...

Basicaly, I do scrap booking, but I kind of taught myself using the scraps I had around me and memorabilia (paper souvniers) from places I had been and wanted to keep them together with photos. I thought that's just how you did scrapbooking (with scraps) untill I started to read books on what I was trying to complete....

I'm starting my holiday book and just wondered if anyone else felt the same as me once and knows of any good resources in scrap booking the less traditional way with stuff you already have (I don't really like scrapbook paper, sorry Undecided) or travel themed, it's a backpacking album.

If this makes no sense at all, that is ok too.

Alice

If this makes no sense at all, that is ok too 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
embercostumer
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010 09:04:49 AM »

I've only been scrapbooking for a few months, and I do that. I thought I was doing it wrong but most of the threads on here say there's not really a wrong way to do it as long as it makes you happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.com
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010 09:13:16 AM »

I agree, I don't think there's really a wrong way. It's all just committing memories and events to paper. At least as far as I can see. Smiley

I tend to scrapbook holidays the way you have described, and generally use an old or plain book to do it in rather than a set size scrapbook. Maybe a combo of 'altered journalling' & 'scrapbooking' describes it better?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jonanner
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010 04:08:58 AM »

The pp's are correct. There is no right way to scrapbook. This is your book. You just make it how you want it. One word of caution though-when you use memorabilia, like scraps from places you've been, you don't have acid free/lignin free pages. They will not last as long, but if you're okay with that, more power to ya! Just enjoy yourself. Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ynneg
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010 01:00:37 PM »

I definitely agree with all of the above- there is no right/wrong way, and I've gone both the traditional route and otherwise. In terms of a "travel scrapbook"- I think you might find this project inspiring http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=347900.0, if you haven't seen it already! Hope that helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CDEeeek
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011 08:44:12 AM »

First thing I thought of when I read "backpacking" was that you could make a scrapbook in the shape of a backpack. Then add pages that are like the insides. There is a kids book called My Nasty Backpack: A Totally Gross Flip-Book that I bought for my nephew one year for Christmas, and it was looked through continuously. You could even have things like pockets having souvenirs, some carabiners holding charms, or what not. Maybe even make origami camp shirts(pretty easy) and the like. I might even make one now, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has a pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cdeeeek/

"It's an electronics store, Major, not Basra. Get it under control."
RobynLCoburn
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011 12:36:36 AM »

I love seeing the meaningful ephemera and memorabilia added to pages. They help to tell the story. I bet your pages are beautiful and very personal.

I like to paint the backs of my ephemera with a strong solution of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) to neutralize the acids/tannin in the papers. Once it has dried, I just brush off the residue and glue as normal. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
richardm
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012 05:45:20 AM »

...  My Nasty Backpack: A Totally Gross Flip-Book that I bought for my nephew one year for Christmas, and it was looked through continuously. You could even have things like pockets having souvenirs, some carabiners holding charms, or what not. Maybe even make origami camp shirts(pretty easy) and the like. I might even make one now, lol.

Thanks for the great idea, can I borrowWink  It'll be a combination of memorable picture holder, memorabilia pin board and other whatnot's, with a flattened weathered bag as base.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CDEeeek
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012 07:07:30 PM »

...  My Nasty Backpack: A Totally Gross Flip-Book that I bought for my nephew one year for Christmas, and it was looked through continuously. You could even have things like pockets having souvenirs, some carabiners holding charms, or what not. Maybe even make origami camp shirts(pretty easy) and the like. I might even make one now, lol.

Thanks for the great idea, can I borrowWink  It'll be a combination of memorable picture holder, memorabilia pin board and other whatnot's, with a flattened weathered bag as base.

Absolutely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has a pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cdeeeek/

"It's an electronics store, Major, not Basra. Get it under control."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Raspberry Torte
4 Recipe Ideas for Halloween Candy
Non-Dairy Chocolate Pudding Recipe
Jacque Torres’ Cake Decorating Demo
Baking Hamentaschen with the Shaarei Torah Bakers of Portland, Oregon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...