A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Are all aurora borealis finishes done with lead?  (Read 556 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MinnieMay9
« on: July 27, 2012 04:59:56 PM »

I love the look of beads with an AB finish to them.  They make things just look so pretty.
I heard that to get this effect they coat the item in a thin layer of lead.
I was thinking of making a bracelet where the beads would be touching my skin directly, so I'm a bit worried about the lead.  I am the kind of person who wears the same bracelets until they fall off.
Is there any way to tell if the AB finish is done with anything that isn't lead?  Can that even be done?

If it helps, I've been looking at getting some of these:
www.riogrande.com/Product/Swarovski-Elements-Crystal-Tapered-Beads-Assortment-Aurora-Borealis/07545960?pos=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012 10:30:39 PM »

I really don't think the trace amounts of lead found in Swarovski beads in a bracelet would harm an adult who is using it properly (ie not putting it in their mouth, licking it frequently, or filing them to create dust).  Make sure you wash your hands and to be super safe pat the bracelet dry when it is wet with a separate towel. 
Lead poisoning via dermal contact is rare, even when dealing with pure lead (fishing weights, ammo, etc).  The amount of lead you would need to touch daily is staggering. 

For anyone, it's truly ingesting the lead as dust (or in the case of small kids by eating things with lead in them) that causes it to build up and cause problems.  That is why California's warning is on the webpage stating "This product should not be used in jewelry or other items intended for children under the age of 12.

Truth be told, even school kids who are on rifle teams rarely come up with bad blood work when it comes to lead poisoning.   They come in contact with far more lead than most people. 

I'm not sure about AB coatings on different brands.  Try contacting bead vendors about other brands that do AB coating to check and see.  Do the plastic varieties coat with lead too?  I kind of thought lead was present in many true crystal (vs just glass) items- so keep that in mind with your bead search too.  Smiley  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress Like Emma Watson at the 2013 MTV Movie Awards
What To Wear To 2013 Coachella Music Festival
5 Ways To Wear A Jean Jacket
Selena Gomez and Debby Ryan: Fashionistas
What To Wear: Black & White Trend
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...