A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,239
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: That's no moon... It's a Death Star Afghan  (Read 3459 times)
Tags for this thread: star_wars  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LyraAmbrose
« on: July 27, 2012 01:33:48 PM »

I kept seeing all of these really cool pixelated afghans floating around on here, ravelry, and pintrest. "I can do that," I told myself. A good friend of mine had a birthday coming up (it was Friday, July 20th. I'm week late) and I was completely stumped on what to make for him. He loves Star Wars. Somehow the two ideas merged and hence, the Death Star Afghan was born.

It is made of 400 granny squares, about 3.5" across each. Some are closer to 3", some are closer to 4"; I was having trouble staying consistent. It's about 75-80" wide and tall and *really* heavy. It took me a month and a half and somewhere around 100 hours to complete it all. I was going ZOMG SQUARES! for quite some time.

To join the squares, I used a variation of the continuous join method (doing 3 chains rather than the 5 the tutorial I found did), joining 40 squares at a time (two rows) so I had 10 long strips to join together. I knew I'd go nuts if I had to sew all those squares together, so I was happy when I stumbled upon the method (http://knitting-crochet.wonderhowto.com/how-to/join-crocheted-granny-squares-using-five-chain-flat-braid-method-403631/).  I kept switching colors so the joins wouldn't stand out as much and I wish I had worked in the ends as I went, rather than waiting for the end to do it.

To do the pattern, I pulled out a piece of graph paper and started filling in squares until I was happy with it. Then I transferred it to a digital file so I could print off copies to mark up as I got squares done or rows joined. A friend thinks it looks like a monochromatic pokeball, and it kinda does.

All in all, I'm happy with how it turned out. It was the first afghan I'd ever made, but certainly not the last. It was a good learning experience. It turned out *way* bigger than I thought it would. If I was to do it again, I'd change a few things.

a) I'd make sure I had enough yarn from the same lot. The very left four rows of the medium grey are a different shade than the rest of them. I didn't find this out until I was joining those squares with the different shaded yarn. A friend has told me to call it a 'stylistic element'.
b) I'd give myself more time to get it done. I've been marathon crocheting since I started the blanket, and I keep adding projects, so I'm not slowing down.
c) I'd use the actual continuous join method, rather than only partway continuous. Some of the joins between the strips are pretty ugly since I couldn't quite figure out a way to make it look right. Changing the colors didn't help the ugliness. Had I used a solid color for all of the joins, the ugly would have been hidden well.
d) I wouldn't join all ten strips in a single day in almost a single sitting. My neck, upper back, and shoulders were sore for a few days after that.

My next project is another granny square afghan, slightly smaller squares this time, to look like the Rebel Alliance Logo. I have until nearly Thanksgiving it that one done, thankfully.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is no cure for Curiosity.

Blog of Doom: http://ivorytowerofdoom.com/
peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012 06:25:46 PM »

That's awesome! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012 06:57:13 AM »

Squeeeeeeeeeeal! Simple, and perfect. And you give us a graph! Great, great project! I hope your friend loves it!

As for your insights, they're very valid and helpful. Hehe, I agree with your friend. There's a good motto in the needlework board: If you can't fix it, feature it Wink
And for joining techniques, my favourite is "join-as-you-go", there's a tutorial avaiable. Greatly reduces any stress of joining, plus you can replace any square very easily.

Promise you'll post your next afghan, too, it sounds awesome, I want to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyHerman

Large Marge sent me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012 12:58:18 PM »

That's awesome...I wish I had the patience to do this... Wonderful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't stop....

......MUST MAKE MORE ATC'S!!!!

Personal Swaps?..... Yes, please Grin
batmansocks117
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012 11:25:25 PM »

This is super awesome!  Grin You did a great job! and seriously I didn't notice that the grey granny squares on the left side were a different shade until I read it, so at least to me it's not very noticeable at all..

I would love to make something like this for myself, lol. One day I'm actually going to do a granny square blanket and not just keep saying I'm going to do one, haha =P
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 31/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 26/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 28/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 25/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 27/35
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...