A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,580
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy peasy dog toy  (Read 1490 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bebedechocolate
« on: July 26, 2012 11:07:09 AM »

My 13 week old lab puppy has a thing for empty water bottles. He LOVES them.  Because it is a relatively safe thing for him to destroy, I let him play with them occasionally under supervision to make sure he doesn't eat any of the plastic pieces.  Mostly he just crunches on it and enjoys the noise.  A lady at our puppy class was describing how she buys cheap stuffed animals and then removes the stuffing and stuffs them with bottles for her puppy and it gave me an idea.

I took an empty water bottle, threw some kibble in there, and wrapped a piece of fleece fabric around it and knotted the ends.  Voila, super simple, easy peasy dog toy that kept my pup enthralled for a while.

I didn't take pictures of the steps but I think they are pretty self-explanatory.  If not, I can make another with pics.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012 11:17:03 AM by bebedechocolate » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap!  I can sew, knit, and crochet.  I have a 9 year old who loves to do swaps as well so we can do a mommy/daughter swap package. Smiley
cute_anarchy
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012 11:13:31 AM »

Totally clever destructive doggy toy!  I bet the crunch is excellent.  I'm going to have to remember this for when my husband agrees to us getting a dog!  (And slightly off topic; I totally want to see a picture of the actual puppy too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
bebedechocolate
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012 11:19:56 AM »

Here is he at Starbucks. 

And here is one of him kissing my boyfriend.

He is a little terror but we love him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap!  I can sew, knit, and crochet.  I have a 9 year old who loves to do swaps as well so we can do a mommy/daughter swap package. Smiley
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012 12:10:06 PM »

What a clever toy!

I also go to flea markets and find cheap stuffed animals ( some go for a dime!)...definitely take out the stuffing or you will find it all over the house!  I am going to stuff one with a bottle and see if my boy will like it.

What a happy puppy!  He looks like what my big boy looked like when he was a baby!  ha ha he still likes to play with his handmade fleece toys but now he is 80 pounds of love! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012 12:13:42 PM »

OMG!!! TOOO CUUUUTTTTEEEE!!!!

Another idea for the fleece is to cut long strips of it and tightly braid them together. Very cheap, washable and if you have to throw it out, you're not out much cash. Also they're excellent for tug o war ropes!

I created a bunch of them for my parents chocolate lab and he loves them. I got creative doubling/tripling/quadrupling up the strands to make them heavier as he grew. Now at 2 years old and 85 pounds his favorite one is made up of 12 lengths of fleece, herringbone braided with a loop in the middle, he loves it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bebedechocolate
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012 12:19:40 PM »

OMG!!! TOOO CUUUUTTTTEEEE!!!!

Another idea for the fleece is to cut long strips of it and tightly braid them together. Very cheap, washable and if you have to throw it out, you're not out much cash. Also they're excellent for tug o war ropes!

I created a bunch of them for my parents chocolate lab and he loves them. I got creative doubling/tripling/quadrupling up the strands to make them heavier as he grew. Now at 2 years old and 85 pounds his favorite one is made up of 12 lengths of fleece, herringbone braided with a loop in the middle, he loves it!
Yes! I love braided fleece!  Chip has several of these that we play tug with.  I have also made about 20 of these for donating to the humane society. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012 01:39:23 PM »

Do you have a pattern or link on how to do the herringbone?

I have made a lot using just the three strips, but my dog is too strong for them and they rip easily!

I need to check with our rescue shelters to see if they could use some of these...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012 01:57:05 PM »

Do you have a pattern or link on how to do the herringbone?

I have made a lot using just the three strips, but my dog is too strong for them and they rip easily!

I need to check with our rescue shelters to see if they could use some of these...

If it's ripping that easily then I say definitely start using more strands and braid as tightly as possible. My parents also have 2 Gordon Setter Pups and they can get quite destructive, but they haven't destroyed my ropes yet!

Here's a link to the herringbone aka fishtail, it's typically used for hair, as shown in the link, but it applies as well to fleece. It requires more strands, the more you use, the tighter the braid, the more durable it'll be!

I'll have to get a pic this weekend of the jumbo one I made for the lab. It's strong enough that he can pull me across the floor with it playing tug o war and I ain't tiny!! Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012 01:59:02 PM by noturavggeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Twiggy’s Long Lash Look
Best & Worst Style
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Of The Week
How To Highlight and Contour Your Abs
How To Make Blackhead-Removing Mask
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...