A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
823 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soft Pretzels  (Read 1335 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Subee
« on: July 25, 2012 09:10:43 PM »

I found this wonderful recipe and have been making big soft pretzels like crazy. My husband is nuts for them!

Pretzels

Makes 6 large pretzels
    1 teaspoon instant yeast
    1 tablespoon malt powder or brown sugar
    2-3 cups all-purpose unbleached or bread flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup warm milk (approximately 110 degrees, which is 1 minute in my microwave)

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix together until it forms a ball. I start with 2 cups of the flour and mix it together until it forms something like a thick batter, then add more flour a handful at a time until it'll form a nice ball that I can knead by hand.

Either use an electric mixer to mix the dough for 5 minutes or remove it from the bowl and knead it by hand for 5 to 10 minutes until the dough begins to get smooth and satiny.

Before shaping, start preheating the oven to 425 degrees.

Cut the dough into 6 pieces. Roll each one into a short log, cover with a towel, and let the dough relax for 5 to 10 minutes. After it has relaxed you should be able to roll it out and stretch again fairly easily.

I let them relax again and then gave each a third roll and stretch session before they were as long and thin as I wanted (about 18 inches long and about as big around as my index finger). They'll nearly double in width while baking, so it is ok to roll them out quite thin.

Shaping pretzels is simple, once you get a hang of it. Place a rope of dough on the work surface in front of you. Take each end in a hand, loop the dough away from you, and bring the ends back toward your stomach, crossing them about an inch above the rope. Apply a little bit of pressure to make the loops stick together, but not too much because you don't want then to flatten out.

Pretzels don't appear to need to rise again before baking, so you just need to figure out how you want to prep them for the oven.

To eggwash them (my favorite way): Simply place them on a baking sheet, brush them gently with an egg that has been whisked, then sprinkle with coarse salt or other toppings.

To bake them (mostly) dry: Sprinkle or spritz them with a little bit of water so that the toppings will stick, then sprinkle with coarse salt or other toppings.

Place the baking sheets into the oven. I sprinkle the baking sheet with corn meal to keep them from sticking. It took around 15 minutes for my pretzels to get golden and brown. Remove from the oven and eat immediately.
If you save some for the next day, they will be a bit tough. Just put them in the oven for a few minutes to revive them.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012 05:46:57 AM by MissingWillow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love nonsense - it wakes up the brain cells!

Prewitt Woods
https://www.facebook.com/PrewittWoods
cinnasweet

...needs more sugar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012 10:20:00 PM »

Looks Yummy!

Thanks for the awesome link! Can't wait to give them a try.
Isn't the interweb grand?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparrowlegs
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012 11:26:09 AM »

thank you so much for posting this  Grin
we went to Edinburgh last December and there was a German Christmas market, selling these, we ate loads of them,
where we live I cant find them to buy, so being able to make for OH and myself will be a real treat  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a sheep, I dont follow....
AND please be aware, I am in England, so my spellings and sayings may seem a lil bit weird lol
sparrowlegs
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012 08:22:25 AM »

mine are ready in 3 minutes!
I used the bread maker to do the dough, and tried to make them as pretzel like as yours Smiley
cant wait to test them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a sheep, I dont follow....
AND please be aware, I am in England, so my spellings and sayings may seem a lil bit weird lol
AimeeRose
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012 06:14:15 PM »

Oh no!!! Now I'm hungry for crab pretzels.  Before our daughter was born DH and I used to make soft pretzels (and variants) several times a year.  Not difficult to do, just time consuming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
AOL Artists: Summer Series
May 31st: Rod Save The Queen
Answering Your Greatest Dinosaur Questions -- At The Natural History Museum
Sweetness and Art: Short Film
May 7th: Sympathy For Xenu
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...