A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,929
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clothes for Jenny + Links (Warning! Pic heavy)  (Read 4740 times)
Tags for this thread: doll_clothes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eetenpie
« on: July 24, 2012 03:34:35 PM »

What better way to get rid of small scraps of fabric AND not have to pay for expensive clothes!

Just thought I would share a few outfits that I have made recently and links to a few sites which I used or which had cute patterns (most are for blythe, but do fit generally well).

(Please excuse the lighting, the sun and the clouds were playing tag!)

Maid Costume

Halter dress

Sock sweater and flared jeans

Polka dot tank tunic and black leggings

Yukata

Obi and sleeve view

Sock sweater II

Tshirt dress and striped leggings

Tank top and circle skirt

Underwear set

Sport swimsuit

Purses and other underwear

http://papupepo.aikotoba.jp/doll/index.html (The site is in japanese, but you can google translate it and that sometimes helps. She included TONS of great construction pictures so i've made many without translating.)
http://www.puchicollective.com/sewing-patterns/
http://blythe.burnet.edu.au/latestpatterns6.11.04/
http://members.optusnet.com.au/orriettacat/patterns/

Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012 03:39:05 PM »

All awesome!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
AmyLynn98
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012 03:43:40 PM »

That's a pretty impressive wardrobe! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012 09:40:51 PM »

Can you make them all full size for me? Wink Grin  That is a beautiful wardrobe.   I don't think I'd have the patience to sew such tiny outfits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AnarchyCupcakes
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012 09:58:56 PM »

Umm, this ROCKS.  As someone who has sewn tiny, I can appreciate all the detail and how well these fit the doll!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012 04:18:10 AM »

I love them all but the yukata and the two sock sweaters are my absolute favourites.  I agree with Belladune. I want them full size for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eetenpie
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012 07:11:58 AM »

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wwrich
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012 02:42:36 PM »

Look great!  I can't look at the links from here at work, but will try to check them out when I get home.

I have been looking to make some stuff for my daughter's Monster High dolls.  I have been having a difficult time finding patterns.  I know I can draft my own, but it take longer and is frustrating to the 9 year old.

About how tall is Jenny?  Do you know how she compares to Monster High dolls?

Any pointers you are willing to share?  I am especially interested in how you finished the edges (hems, openings for arms and legs, etc.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Monster High dolls lately.

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
eetenpie
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012 01:43:31 PM »

Look great!  I can't look at the links from here at work, but will try to check them out when I get home.

I have been looking to make some stuff for my daughter's Monster High dolls.  I have been having a difficult time finding patterns.  I know I can draft my own, but it take longer and is frustrating to the 9 year old.

About how tall is Jenny?  Do you know how she compares to Monster High dolls?

Any pointers you are willing to share?  I am especially interested in how you finished the edges (hems, openings for arms and legs, etc.)
The light haired Jenny is on a 27cm medium soft bust obitsu body and her measurements are approx. 11.5cm-7.5cm-11.5cm. I'm not sure how that compares to MH. I'm assuming you could probably just make alterations to existing patterns. I can't recall seeing any MH sewing patterns, just a couple cute crochet ones.

I always hemmed the legs or arm/neck holes first before I sewed the sides, makes it much, much easier to do them. Also on the smaller pieces I had to use tissue paper as a backing when sewing so that my machine wouldn't drag the material down and get caught (I believe they sell paper specifically for that, but tissue paper is what I had handy).  I would also recommend using fabric tape on the tiny things like bra's and panties because sometimes the tiny hem just wont stay when you're trying to sew it down. Probably basic stuff for an experienced sewer (which I am not lol)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
wwrich
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012 06:38:25 PM »

The light haired Jenny is on a 27cm medium soft bust obitsu body and her measurements are approx. 11.5cm-7.5cm-11.5cm. I'm not sure how that compares to MH. I'm assuming you could probably just make alterations to existing patterns. I can't recall seeing any MH sewing patterns, just a couple cute crochet ones.

Apparently, MH dolls come in several different sizes.  My Frankie (the most common size) appears to be about 28cm tall and 10cm-8cm-11cm for measurements.  Pretty close, but a little taller and less curvy to yours.  Of course, I used my big tape measure, and I can't vouch for my accuracy.

I always hemmed the legs or arm/neck holes first before I sewed the sides, makes it much, much easier to do them. Also on the smaller pieces I had to use tissue paper as a backing when sewing so that my machine wouldn't drag the material down and get caught (I believe they sell paper specifically for that, but tissue paper is what I had handy).  I would also recommend using fabric tape on the tiny things like bra's and panties because sometimes the tiny hem just wont stay when you're trying to sew it down. Probably basic stuff for an experienced sewer (which I am not lol)

Yea, I'm not that experienced either.  Been doing it for lots of years, but haven't done a lot of "advanced" stuff.  I find myself sort of lost without a pattern and directions.  I have done it, but hate the general idea of needing to make 6 of something to get it "just right".  Of course, that happens with patterns sometimes too  Roll Eyes

Yes, doing the hems and stuff before sewing the sides is great.  Another thing that I have done in the past is to cut the outfit out using the salvage edge as the hem.

I will try the paper trick.  I have done that with sewing either "sticky", "fuzzy" or "shiny" fabrics, but never thought of doing it for small things.

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Monster High dolls lately.

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Visit New York City, NY - Chelsea Art Galleries
Understanding Asymmetry in Architecture
Understanding Symmetry in Architecture
How to Draw a Perspective
How to Handle PDF Files with PitStop Pro 09
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...