A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,086
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gifts to have on hand?  (Read 1435 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

paigefiddler
« on: July 23, 2012 11:32:06 AM »

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for some generic but nice, crafty gifts to keep on hand at home just incase. I find myself forgetting people's birthdays and such or we will have a surprise guest at Christmas and I'd like to be able to be prepared for these people! It could be unisex or seperate ideas for  males/females. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012 12:08:43 PM »

First, this is an excellent idea that I think I will need to borrow! Cheesy And I will be following this thread for more ideas.

If I were still in MN I'd probably have a basket full of knit scarves & hats, excellent defaults & you can never have too many scarves & hats in the winter. lol I think I would probably put aside a few small art pieces (6"x6" canvas or 5"x7" in frames), maybe some sewn plastic bag holder "socks." Those are things that I've done...ideas pulled from Craftster...Scrabbl e coasters, papercrafted notecards, mug rugs, quick little jewelry pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
mousee23

Not all Californians live near the beach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012 12:03:19 AM »

For my kids' friends who invite them over late for a party or occasion I have put things aside.
Girl:Dollar store beauty; 1.Small basket,comb/hair combo,barrettes, small mirror. 2.Basket,bath puff,cute wash cloth,bath beads,bubble bath,lotion
Woman: Same bath type stuff
Boy:1.Dollar store fun;Container,puzzle,ball,book,toys. 2. Bath kit like the girls,boy themed.
Unisex:1. Container,A cute DVD(dollar store has some oldies but goodies and cartoons),Pop corn,candies,napkins,cups,soda(or the powered lemonade).
2.Stationary set: Journal,pens,pencils,cards,envelopes,erasers,note pad,container.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is pain,Highness~Dred Pirate Roberts<br />My Chatterings http://mousee23.blogspot.com/<br />http://www.wists.com/mousee23/<br />http://pinterest.com/mousee23/
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012 11:02:16 PM »

Great idea for a thread!  Wine charms and potholders/kitchen cloths (crochet, knit, or quilted) are easy ideas.  I like the coaster idea as well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paigefiddler
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012 11:20:34 PM »

For my kids' friends who invite them over late for a party or occasion I have put things aside.
Girl:Dollar store beauty; 1.Small basket,comb/hair combo,barrettes, small mirror. 2.Basket,bath puff,cute wash cloth,bath beads,bubble bath,lotion
Woman: Same bath type stuff
Boy:1.Dollar store fun;Container,puzzle,ball,book,toys. 2. Bath kit like the girls,boy themed.
Unisex:1. Container,A cute DVD(dollar store has some oldies but goodies and cartoons),Pop corn,candies,napkins,cups,soda(or the powered lemonade).
2.Stationary set: Journal,pens,pencils,cards,envelopes,erasers,note pad,container.

Thats a nice idea but I want to have nice hand made things, not dollar store items! I don't know too many kids either (i dont have kids).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paigefiddler
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012 11:22:23 PM »

The wine charms are a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThriftyLiving4U

Walking around with paint on my fingers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012 05:59:16 PM »

Picture frames are always a good unisex present.  Embellish as you wish and you can either add a picture of the person and you OR a good quote that may "speak" to them.
I also like making tote bags from recycled whatever (grocery bags, t-shirts) and I usually have a few on hands for such occasions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would love to swap for art of my fur babies

My Pinterest
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012 06:34:43 PM »

Homemade soap and homemade canned foods (jams, jellies, etc.) could work, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flygirl88
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012 08:20:30 AM »

I'm making stuffed owls for the little ones.  I'm a beginner with sewing, but even I had an easy time with this pattern:

http://ashbyfamilyblog.blogspot.ca/2010/02/easy-owl-pattern-and-tutorial-win-one.html

They came out great and it uses a lot of stuff you might already have around the house.  I spent about $8 on material and I've made three and have enough material for at least 3 more. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovers of air find it exhilarating to hang poised between the illusion of immortality, and the fact of death -Alexander Chase
Yizzimindi
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012 05:05:31 PM »

Gals: Purses/bags, jewellery, recipes in a jar are really cool right now (google for inspiration and instructions), beach wraps.

Guys: wallets, knitted beard beanies are really fun, pj pants with a drawstring that makes them almost one size fits all

Generic: handmade notepads, a set of cards with different occaisons (so they have a go-to as well!), recipe books, mug cozies, coasters.

Family: Framed photo, exploding album (an example here: http://www.scrapbookeden.com/expoldingalbum.htm#) just keep the pages empty until you know the recipient!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a New Blank Document in Illustrator CS3
How to Create a New Blank Document in InDesign CS3
How to Create a New Color Swatch in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a New Document From a Template in Illustrator CS3
How to Create a New Image in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...