A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sprucing up an outdated rental property (no paint, holes etc) help!  (Read 656 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 01, 2012 04:01:37 AM »

Hello!

My partner and I have just secured a flat which we move into later this month. It's nice and spacious for us, but the decor is seriously outdated. The flooring is OK, but there is a striplight in the kitchen which is a bit retro (like you'd get in a school!) and it's very.. plain. Obviously being a rental we can't paint and don't want to put any holes in the walls so what ideas are there to spruce up places like this? I've searched high and low for inspiring blogs for this kind of thing but I can't find anything! I have a pinterest board sitting empty waiting for ideas but my brain isn't working!

Thanks for any help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
Nobodyhasthisoneyet
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012 05:13:40 AM »

No, there's not an awful lot around about decorating rentals, is there?  And a lot of it is "well, maybe they WILL let you paint..." which isn't helpful because usually they won't, and why go to all that effort to improve someone else's investment?  Wink

I'm renting a beige box at the moment, and not only is the house itself pretty blah, but the furniture's weird too.  I took over the lease from a friend who was moving - she couldn't take all her stuff to the new place and I don't own much furniture, so I'm using a lot of her bigger items on an open-ended loan.  So for instance, I've got her very sleek and modern dining table in light beech paired with my fancy old silky oak office chairs!

The first thing I did was take down the nasty lace curtains that came with the place (and stored them away so I can put them up again when I go) and put up some bright, fresh ones of my own.  I used floor-length ones, so it's quite a big slab of colour and really makes a difference to the room.  Friend also gifted me a huge bright red rug, which does the trick too.

I'm very lucky in that most of my rooms have picture rails, so I've gone nuts hanging things on the walls.  Not just pictures but a flag, dotee dolls from a swap and some of my small musical instruments.  For my bedroom I made some quick and easy bunting using scrapbooking paper from my stash, and strung that all around the walls too.  (Yes, I am mentally about four!)

At least with beige you can drown it out with bright accessories.  For instance in the kitchen I've got two vintage trays on the wall with blue in their design, mostly blue-toned teatowels, gold-lidded storage jars in open shelves, and some gold-white-and-blue fish ornaments on top of the fridge.  The space is tiny so that's all it needs to have an overall blue-and gold effect, rather than beige.

I hope that's some sort of starting point... sorry to ramble!

Edited to add...

I also have a few large framed posters that I'm not game to hang, because they're quite heavy and I don't know how much the picture rails can hold.  So I've got them leaning against walls in random places - to fill in large blank areas of wall, or hide some of the crappy repairs that have been done over the years.  There's also nasty old non-functioning radiator in one corner of the lounge room, which I've hidden by putting the couch in front of it.  It cuts down the amount of space in the room, because the couch is 3ft further forwards than it would otherwise be, but I don't have to look at that piece of junk.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012 05:22:52 AM by Nobodyhasthisoneyet - Reason: more rambing... » THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer online regularly - if you need to contact me, try tweeting @artsieaspie.  Sorry for the inconvenience!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Effie Trinket Halloween Makeup
How to Do a Checkboard Manicure
How to Fix Lipstick Mishaps
How to Fix Your Foundation
How to Fix Mascara Smudges
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...